Waldensian canon of 1120

covenantbc.com/Articles/Waldensian%20Confession.pdf

The date of 1120 is open to debate. The exact year of their origins is unknown. There seems to be an opinion of them founding in the year 1190-1200 but when I seek actual evidence, even from scholarly sources, I do not get the reason why. I always like to check these things myself because most scholars would tell you Matthew did not write Matthew, Luke did not write Luke, John most certainly did not write John and so on.
Anyone this document suggests a much earlier resistance to the deuterocanonical books. Thanks.

While this is interesting, it cannot be from 1120 and be Waldensian as we understand the Waldensians. The Waldensians were named because they were followers of Peter Waldo, who was born around 1140 and began his ministry around 1160. The term does not appear before Waldo’s ministry, although some revisionist historians assign the group an earlier birth.

I don’t doubt that this was published mid-17th century (as says at the top of the document), although I’m curious where a pastor in rural Oklahoma would come to find this, and whether he translated it himself (at the time, the Waldensians would have merged with Genevan Calvinists in France). This was the height of internecine conflict between Catholic and Protestant, and propaganda flew with each side asserting its correctness and refuting that of its opponent.

If you’re asking whether Peter Waldo opposed the deuterocanonicals, that’s something I honestly don’t know if we can verify as no one in his group chronicled them that we know of until the early 17th century. From Catholic Church records, the Waldensians were repressed because they taught without the authority of the local priests, and no specific mention is made of their beliefs other than ‘innumerable errors’.

I am examing the “how we understand them” part. Thanks for the link to the book.

You’re welcome. I’d give you a caveat to be careful in making connections of your faith to groups that the Catholic Church has deemed heretical in the past unless you’ve really read and understand their origins, premises and the logic that leads them to their theological and ecclesial conclusions. Of the many groups denounced as heretics, the Waldensians probably deserved it less than most as their crime was primarily preaching without permission, and their condemnation came out of both a 13th century mindset and probably some misguided hostility aimed at another group, the Cathari. The Cathari teachings were far more dangerous (ie, that Jesus was not divine, that His Father was a distinct deity from that of the Old Testament, that marriage was wrong and suicide welcomed).

Would you find it more helpful perhaps to begin with those we call the Early Fathers (1st through 5th centuries), see what theological battles were taking place and how doctrine was formulated in response, and move up from there? I’m asking because I think you’d be surprised how much you have in common with Augustine and find the rift occuring later, perhaps with Aquinas.

Merry Christmas.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.