Walking to school could reduce stress reactivity in children and may curb risk of heart disease, study shows

WALKING TO SCHOOL COULD REDUCE STRESS REACTIVITY IN CHILDREN AND MAY CURB RISK OF HEART DISEASE, STUDY SHOWS

UFFALO, N.Y. -- A simple morning walk to school could reduce stress
reactivity in children during the school day, curbing increases in heart
rate and blood pressure that can lead to cardiovascular disease later

more...
in life, according to a new University at Buffalo study. UB researchers report in the August 2010 issue of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise that children who took a simulated walk to school later experienced smaller elevations in systolic blood pressure, heart rate and perceived stress while taking a short exam than children who had gotten a simulated ride to school.
Cardiovascular reactivity -- including changes in heart rate and blood pressure due to stress -- is associated with the beginnings of cardiovascular disease in children, and atherosclerosis -- the dangerous build-up of cholesterol, calcium, fat and other substances in artery walls -- in adults.

more...

It's my personal belief that kids and everyone else really, are much too fat in this world today.

Get up, get out, and eat less!

Just my opinion, I am NO doctor.

Kids walk home from our local public high school and every day I see at least 10 of them being put into police cruisers, fights being broken up, and squad cars from three neighboring cities lining the street

[quote="Rascalking, post:2, topic:208536"]
It's my personal belief that kids and everyone else really, are much too fat in this world today.

Get up, get out, and eat less!

Just my opinion, I am NO doctor.

[/quote]

I agree!

One of the seven deadly sins comes to mind: Gluttony.

In this country, our kids arent given half a chance to overcome some temptations that they may take with them to adulthood: unhealthy fast food; gigantic restaurant portions;eatting when you feel good and eatting when you feel bad. Fasting and austerity are things of the past for the most part in our secular culture.

Just my opinion.... and I am no nutritionist.

:thumbsup:

Glad we live within walking distance of the elementary school. DS loves walking or riding his bike.

Too bad not everyone lives in areas where it is safe to send children out to walk to school.

If parents can accompany them, that's great, but otherwise, I wouldn't allow it under the age of 13 or 14, at least in the city where I live.

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:3, topic:208536"]
Kids walk home from our local public high school and every day I see at least 10 of them being put into police cruisers, fights being broken up, and squad cars from three neighboring cities lining the street

[/quote]

10 a DAY? Where on the green earth do you live? I went to high school in Chicago and walked to and from and never saw that, and Chicago is a rough city.

[quote="shannyk, post:7, topic:208536"]
10 a DAY? Where on the green earth do you live? I went to high school in Chicago and walked to and from and never saw that, and Chicago is a rough city.

[/quote]

I think it's hyperbole. Either that, or he lives in war zone.

I think its a good idea (accompanied by a parent).

Although, my biggest problem was dodging bullies on the 5 block trek to school :o Yet another way to get exercise. ;) Ah, growing up in Queens. Sort of a "war zone" in the 70s.

[quote="CatholicFireman, post:9, topic:208536"]
I think its a good idea (accompanied by a parent).

Although, my biggest problem was dodging bullies on the 5 block trek to school :o Yet another way to get exercise. ;) Ah, growing up in Queens. Sort of a "war zone" in the 70s.

[/quote]

I went to a private, catholic high school about 45 minutes from my house. We would drive to school after I got my license, and some of the things the class "bullies" (I'd call them a much harsher word, but we're in mixed company) would do horrible things to other people WHILE DRIVING.

I was a drama geek, chess club dork, and model UN nerd in high school-definitely a target for bullies.

[quote="Rascalking, post:10, topic:208536"]
I went to a private, catholic high school about 45 minutes from my house. We would drive to school after I got my license, and some of the things the class "bullies" (I'd call them a much harsher word, but we're in mixed company) would do horrible things to other people WHILE DRIVING.

I was a drama geek, chess club dork, and model UN nerd in high school-definitely a target for bullies.

[/quote]

We should start a support group....

LOL.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.