Walmart BANS CHRISTMAS: Boycott Launched

catholicleague.org/05press_releases/quarter%204/051109_Wal-Mart_boycott.htm

A woman who recently complained to Wal-Mart that the store was replacing “Merry Christmas” with “Happy Holidays” received an e-mail response from Customer Service. It appears below in its exact form:

“Walmart is a world wide organization and must remain conscious of this. The majority of the world still has different practices other than ‘christmas’ which is an ancient tradition that has its roots in Siberian shamanism. The colors associated with ‘christmas’ red and white are actually a representation of of the aminita mascera mushroom. Santa is also borrowed from the Caucuses, mistletoe from the Celts, yule log from the Goths, the time from the Visigoth and the tree from the worship of Baal. It is a wide wide world.”

To which Catholic League president Bill Donohue says: “This statement was signed by someone called Kirby. When I read it, I thought he might be drunk. But I was wrong. We sent Kirby’s response to Wal-Mart’s headquarters only to find that Dan Fogleman, Senior Manager, Public Relations, agrees. After acknowledging that he read Kirby’s response, Fogleman said, in part, the following”:

“As a retailer, we recognize some of our customers may be shopping for Chanukah or Kwanza gifts during this time of year and we certainly want these customers in our stores and to feel welcome, just as we do those buying for Christmas. As an employer, we recognize the significance of the Christmas holiday among our family of associates…and close our stores in observance, the only day during the year that we are closed.”

Bill Donohue says: “It’s nice to know that Wal-Mart is closed on a federal holiday. Now here is why I am asking the leaders of 126 religious organizations that span seven religious communities to boycott Wal-Mart. Go to its website and search for Hanukkah and up come 200 items. Click on Kwanzaa and up come 77. Click on Christmas, and here’s what you get: ‘We’ve brought you to our ‘Holiday’ page based on your search.’ In other words, Wal-Mart is practicing discrimination.” *Contact Fogleman at dan.fogleman@wal-mart.com. *
-----------
OTHER LATEST NEWS RELEASES
catholicleague.org/newsreleases.htm

I sent an email to dan.fogleman@wal-mart.com.

[quote=PLAL]“Walmart is a world wide organization and must remain conscious of this. The majority of the world still has different practices other than ‘christmas’ which is an ancient tradition that has its roots in Siberian shamanism. The colors associated with ‘christmas’ red and white are actually a representation of of the aminita mascera mushroom. Santa is also borrowed from the Caucuses, mistletoe from the Celts, yule log from the Goths, the time from the Visigoth and the tree from the worship of Baal. It is a wide wide world.”
[/quote]

Bet not many Siberian shamans, Celts, Goths, or Visigoths shop at Walmart. This is the height of political correctness.

I am returning all of my “holiday” purchases to Walmart.

[quote=PLAL]Go to its website and search for Hanukkah and up come 200 items. Click on Kwanzaa and up come 77. Click on Christmas, and here’s what you get: ‘We’ve brought you to our ‘Holiday’ page based on your search.’ In other words, Wal-Mart is practicing discrimination.” *Contact Fogleman at dan.fogleman@wal-mart.com. *

-----------

OTHER LATEST NEWS RELEASES

catholicleague.org/newsreleases.htm
[/quote]

You do get the Holiday page when you search for Christmas. There is a link there, however, for Christmas that yields 7,970 items.

Peace

Tim

I sent an email. I also included the real facts for some of the remarks.

[quote=aimee]I sent an email to dan.fogleman@wal-mart.com.
[/quote]

I sent mine a few moments ago…once again, Christians are the target…

Yet I bet they don’t have any problems SELLING items that say “Merry Christmas”.

Gee, I thought Walmart was a big promoter of the crass commercialization of our Lord’s birth! :rolleyes: What gives? Don’t they know what side their bread is buttered on?

Not a very good business move, I daresay…

One of the gift cards I am buying for someone is from Wal-Mart. I may have to ask that person for an alternative.

PF

The non-Christian origins of the Dec. 25 holiday are debated every year. Wal-Mart’s response was strange - showed a lack of sensitivity. I can understand their desire for inclusiveness, but why say something that will inflame & alienate their largest customer base.

If I know my co-worker is non-Christian, I try to be sensitive. I’ve found that very, very few are actually offended by a traditional Christmas greeting

Sent my email. I told them I’ll honor their request of not wanting to offend those who don’t celebrate Christmas by doing my Christmas shopping elsewhere. I’d hate for one of the other shoppers to see me in my festive Christmas sweater and feel like I’m “pushing” my Christian celebration on them!

Just sent mine off:

In Appreciation for Your Newest Blunder
Of removing Christmas and Christians from your target markets, I shall be shopping elsewhere from now on.

Have a Merry XYZ Zeason, to all of you and yours and others.

That really makes me crazy! I E-mailed him. I spend anywhere from $50.00 - UP WEEKLY on paper goods, zip locks, tin foil, etc., toiletries, pet food at Walmart. They are not the only game in town and I told him so. I would say that the vast majority of Walmarts regular customers are Christian, Middle -America and that is who they have decided to offend? I hope we show Walmart just how fed up we are with the ever-popular Christian offending, by not buying from them unless they change their policy.:mad:

[quote=Lucania]That really makes me crazy! I E-mailed him. I spend anywhere from $50.00 - UP WEEKLY on paper goods, zip locks, tin foil, etc., toiletries, pet food at Walmart. They are not the only game in town and I told him so. I would say that the vast majority of Walmarts regular customers are Christian, Middle -America and that is who they have decided to offend? I hope we show Walmart just how fed up we are with the ever-popular Christian offending, by not buying from them unless they change their policy.:mad:
[/quote]

Does anyone know about Target, K-Mart, and Sam’s Club?

I have an idea! Let’s all get rid of the materialism and gift-buying frenzy associated with Christmas altogether. For the essentials, such as ornaments and Christmas cards, go to your local Catholic store or the EWTN catalog!

You know what’s really scary? In this age of PC, some atheist will try to take Christmas Day off the Federal holiday calendar, claiming its violates separation of church and state. It’s only a matter of time. And I’m seeing more and more Merry Christmas signs being replaced by Happy Holidays.

[quote=mary bobo]Does anyone know about Target, K-Mart, and Sam’s Club?
[/quote]

I don’t know about Target or K-Mart, but Sam’s Club is Wal-Mart

Peace

Tim

I see several references to Santa on the site (santa’s list, be someones santa…) Now I know santa has become secularized, but he’s still all about Christmas! Someone at Walmart is confused. Has anyone contacted the Owners and not just the senior manager of public relations? Who even owns Walmart anymore? Didn’t Sam Walton die and then his son recently?

Jennifer

I’m answering my own question:
Lee Scott is the current CEO

Here’s info from the contact page
walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=224

One more thing, I find Happy Holidays to be less annoying than Seasons Greetings. At least you get the word HOLYDAY in there!
Jennifer

[quote=mary bobo]Does anyone know about Target, K-Mart, and Sam’s Club?
[/quote]

As someone else pointed out, Sam’s is Walmart. Kmart is Sears. I was watching O’Reilly last night and he had a segment about store chains and whether they used the words Christmas or Holiday and he said that Sears/Kmart wouldn’t give an answer as well as Kohl’s. Penny’s uses Christmas, and Macy’s, too. Dillards phrase is Discover Christmas, Discover Dillard’s. I believe there is a poll on The O’Reilly Factor website about this subject, but I haven’t checked it out yet. All I know about Target is they don’t allow Salvation Army Bell Ringers outside of their stores. I don’t know whether they use Christmas or Holiday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.