Walmart Caves, Boycott Ends!

Read about it at
www.catholicleague.org
Yay!

Unbelievable! Thank you for posting this information.

I sent this message to Walmart through their suggestions/feedback site:

Dear CEO of Walmart,

I want to congratulate you on your recent decision to apologize for the employee’s inflammatory remarks, which were gross distortions and outright lies, regarding the origins of Christmas. They were deeply distressing to me and my family. I am sad for the person who lost his/her job, however, but I understand why you felt you had to let him/her go.

And thank you for correcting your website to take inquirers to Christmas items when people enter “Christmas” instead of taking them to the more generic “Holiday” in the search engine. I feel that was a wise decision considering other faiths have direct links to items for sale that help customers celebrate their holidays. All faiths ought to be treated equally, as I’m sure you agree.

Unabashedly, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas (my faith tradition), Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, and to all your employees a joyous holiday season.

Mrs. ___________

I know I was politically correct in my remarks, but I wanted my main message to be clearly understood–to let them know that it isn’t the celebrating of other faiths’ traditions, but rather the bashing and marginalizing of the Christian one I found objectionable.

[quote=Della]I sent this message to Walmart through their suggestions/feedback site:

I know I was politically correct in my remarks, but I wanted my main message to be clearly understood–to let them know that it isn’t the celebrating of other faiths’ traditions, but rather the bashing and marginalizing of the Christian one I found objectionable.
[/quote]

:thumbsup: Good job for thanking them!

[quote=Momsix]Read about it at
www.catholicleague.org
Yay!
[/quote]

I don’t care if they did cave, I won’t shop there and I am ashamed that donahue fails to address the fact that so many Walmart don’t have health coverage, instead, he harps on a non issue about Christmas greetings!

Please don’t respond to this post unless you have thought thru your answer. This boycott was the right thing to do for all the wrong reasons and I am totally disgusted.

[quote=Della]I sent this message to Walmart through their suggestions/feedback site:

[/quote]

The origin of Christmas was the birth of Christ, actually, the origins of many of the celebrations during the Holiday Season are based in Pagan traditions, so the Walmart rep wasn’t entirely wrong. You don’t have to apologize for being politically correct when you were simply trying for common courtesy.

Waif:

I’ve thought a lot about it: Christmas is important and Donahue spoke for many people in his defense of the Christian holiday. I’m sorry that his effort disappointed you. The employee health insurance matter is also of great importance. Don’t give up. If good people like you keep up their protests, they will be heard.

[quote=Cupofkindness]Waif:

I’ve thought a lot about it: Christmas is important and Donahue spoke for many people in his defense of the Christian holiday. I’m sorry that his effort disappointed you. The employee health insurance matter is also of great importance. Don’t give up. If good people like you keep up their protests, they will be heard.
[/quote]

Thank you.
I won’t give up and I won’t shop at Walmart until they change their ways. Maybe this guy needed a way to examine the practices of Walmart and this was God’s way of pointing it out to him.

[quote=Wondering Waif]Thank you.
I won’t give up and I won’t shop at Walmart until they change their ways. Maybe this guy needed a way to examine the practices of Walmart and this was God’s way of pointing it out to him.
[/quote]

Wondering Waif,
I am totally clueless, but I’d really like to know. Does WalMart not provide health insurance for it’s full time employees?

[quote=carol marie]Wondering Waif,
I am totally clueless, but I’d really like to know. Does WalMart not provide health insurance for it’s full time employees?
[/quote]

I have to check on the latest information before I can give you specifics, but the last I read was that only about twenty percent of the health care costs for any Walmart employee was covered.
May I email you, I have to contact the PIC of the Walmart situation?

I heard that 53% of Walmart employees do not get medical coverage. I have a thread somewhere (probably on the second page by now) where this matter is discussed in greater depth.

[quote=Wondering Waif]I don’t care if they did cave, I won’t shop there and I am ashamed that donahue fails to address the fact that so many Walmart don’t have health coverage, instead, he harps on a non issue about Christmas greetings!

Please don’t respond to this post unless you have thought thru your answer. This boycott was the right thing to do for all the wrong reasons and I am totally disgusted.
[/quote]

Apparently Wal-Mart and its employees have arrived at mutually satisfactory working arrangements. How is it that the specific details of those arrangements are any of your business? Would you be willing to pay higher prices so that Wal-Mart can subsidize its employees?

Ok, not to start trouble (already done I suppose on the News board) – but has anyone noticed the big fat banner on the front page of Catholic.com that says “HOLIDAY SALE” with a holly sprig? LOL – in the wake of all this walmart stuff it just makes you :hmmm:

[quote=Pentecost2005]Apparently Wal-Mart and its employees have arrived at mutually satisfactory working arrangements. How is it that the specific details of those arrangements are any of your business? Would you be willing to pay higher prices so that Wal-Mart can subsidize its employees?
[/quote]

look at his other posts, and you will get a better understanding.

in any event, aren’t most WM employees are part time,… not eligible for insurance?

[quote=leaner]Ok, not to start trouble (already done I suppose on the News board) – but has anyone noticed the big fat banner on the front page of Catholic.com that says “HOLIDAY SALE” with a holly sprig? LOL – in the wake of all this walmart stuff it just makes you :hmmm:
[/quote]

:rotfl: That is ironic, though.

Of course, the use of the term “Happy Holidays” by Walmart employees was never the issue, but the directing of searchers for Christmas items to a link that further directed them to their “holiday” site when those who wanted items for Hanukkah and Kwanzaa were specifically directed to Hanukkah and Kwanzaa sites if they were searching for items under those holiday classifications. That has been corrected to direct customers to the “Christmas” site, instead. :wink:

But it’s an issue for those of us who draw the line before that. Don’t be shovin’ a baby-pacifier in my mouth, Walmart.

Why do they encourage their employees to say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”? How have they determined it’s a better business decision to use holidays instead of Christmas?
Why does their website have “holidays” splattered all over the place? Are we truly, truly happy with that? Yoohoo it used to be Christmas, remember??

I will shop at stores that display the term Christmas, and avoid all stores that use the we-don’t-need-you term “holidays”. This will never become negotiable over time. If the commercial Christmas disappears then so be it, but I will not replace it with something else for them.

[quote=Lost&Found]But it’s an issue for those of us who draw the line before that. Don’t be shovin’ a baby-pacifier in my mouth, Walmart.

Why do they encourage their employees to say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”? How have they determined it’s a better business decision to use holidays instead of Christmas?
Why does their website have “holidays” splattered all over the place? Are we truly, truly happy with that? Yoohoo it used to be Christmas, remember??

I will shop at stores that display the term Christmas, and avoid all stores that use the we-don’t-need-you term “holidays”. This will never become negotiable over time. If the commercial Christmas disappears then so be it, but I will not replace it with something else for them.
[/quote]

I don’t see what the issue is. Walmart is still selling Christmas stuff etc. Its not like theyve banned the holiday. The US is diverse and they have plenty of people of other faiths, so naturally they’re going to want to wish EVERYONE a happy season so business is better. There are Jews celebrating Hannukah etc. What’s wrong with not assuming someone’s religion? It’s just showing a respect for all of their customers. If I were Jewish I doubt id get angry if an employee unknowingly wished me a Merry Christmas, but if I were a Catholic I wouldnt get angry if someone wished me a happy holiday. Christmas is a holiday.

[quote=siamesecat]I don’t see what the issue is. Walmart is still selling Christmas stuff etc. Its not like theyve banned the holiday. The US is diverse and they have plenty of people of other faiths, so naturally they’re going to want to wish EVERYONE a happy season so business is better. There are Jews celebrating Hannukah etc. What’s wrong with not assuming someone’s religion? It’s just showing a respect for all of their customers. If I were Jewish I doubt id get angry if an employee unknowingly wished me a Merry Christmas, but if I were a Catholic I wouldnt get angry if someone wished me a happy holiday. Christmas is a holiday.
[/quote]

:amen:

[quote=siamesecat]I don’t see what the issue is. Walmart is still selling Christmas stuff etc. Its not like theyve banned the holiday. The US is diverse and they have plenty of people of other faiths, so naturally they’re going to want to wish EVERYONE a happy season so business is better. There are Jews celebrating Hannukah etc. What’s wrong with not assuming someone’s religion? It’s just showing a respect for all of their customers. If I were Jewish I doubt id get angry if an employee unknowingly wished me a Merry Christmas, but if I were a Catholic I wouldnt get angry if someone wished me a happy holiday. Christmas is a holiday.
[/quote]

Yes, everyone is familiar with that argument because it is the standard argument used.
And, it is a lie. We know it is a lie, because up until now we have used the term Christmas and it has never done them any harm. They may have cringed in horror at hearing Christ’s name, but they sure didn’t mind accepting our money because of it.
Christ told us in Luke 8 that no one hides a lamp under a bed and that is what we are doing.
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Those are same people that if I filled out a job application and my name was Christopher or Christine, I don’t think I’d have a fair chance. These are the people we are catering to and they don’t sound very tolerant to me. So essentially it is this: They use the argument of tolerance for their intolerance. And it is a lie.[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]

I was in a Walmart recently. I didn’t see anyone holding a gun to anybody’s head forcing them to work there. If the employees don’t like the benefits they receive, then they are free to get a different job. It’s called Capitalism and Free Enterprise. If I opened a business, it is my right to offer the least benefits required by law. Or, I can offer the best in the industry. It’s not a perfect system, but it’s the best in the world. If you don’t like it, don’t boycott the company, lobby the government to change the law and force companies to carry more benefits.

As for Christmas, I would not be offended if anyone wished me a happy Hannukah. Nor should we get offended if someone says happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas. People who say this are just trying to be unassuming about one’s beliefs. I wish everyone celebrated Christmas for the right reasons, but they don’t and getting upset about it is not going to help. Do you also get offended by those who celebrate Christmas and are athiest?

I honestly think that we should totally ignore those who get upset about the phrase Merry Christmas just because they’re not Christian. Getting upset because someone said something nice to you is rediculas, and we (as a society) should not even entertain it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.