Walmart must pay $188m in restitution to workers uncompensated for breaks

The Pennsylvania supreme court found that Walmart under-compensated employees between 1998 and 2006.

Monday’s ruling on the class-action lawsuit will reduce Walmart’s earnings for the quarter ending on 31 January by 6 cents a share, the company said in a securities filing. That amounts to roughly 4% of its profit forecast of $1.46 to $1.56 for the period.

Walmart shares were up 0.5% to $84.39 in midday New York Stock Exchange trading.

The Pennsylvania supreme court upheld a 2007 lower-court ruling in favor of the workers, who claimed Walmart failed to pay them for all hours worked and prevented them from taking full meal and rest breaks.

Might be true. I once worked for a law firm that didn’t pay overtime and basically forced people to work it. They lost a lawsuit over that.

Excellent.

I am not surprised to see Walmart facing this situation.

They’ll appeal to the USSC. Wal Mart never backs down.

Along those same lines I recall a lawsuit where Walmart was accused of locking shelf stockers in the store off the clock. I never learned the results.

Yet another reason why I would never shop at Walmart.

I highly doubt that the USSC will take the case since it is merely a contractual issue.

Probably right but Wal Mart will take it to them just to cost their adversaries more money. Wal-Mart has a policy of not settling suits out of court which is why they don’t get as many slip and fall suits as other retailers. No matter how strong your case is they will make you go to court and have a jury trial

Not quite correct. I know a lawyer who has a suit going against Walmart right now for a slip and fall. They offered $40,000 so far, but he thinks he’ll get more for his client than that.

But Walmart will take this in stride. $188,000,000 to Walmart is the loss of Sunday sales during a nor’easter.

From an economic standpoint it is very much a drop in the bucket. From a moral standpoint it is definitely troubling. If Walmart is depriving their workers of earned wages, which the evidence suggests they are, then the leadership needs to takes ethics more seriously.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.