Walmart Put On Notice About Christmas

Walmart was put on notice by the Catholic League who encouraged a boycott after a junior executives ridiculous reply to a customer:

catholicleague.org/05press_releases/quarter%204/051109_Wal-Mart_boycott.htm

After first defending the employee’s response, the retail giant backed off:

catholicleague.org/05press_releases/quarter%204/051111_boycott_ends.htm

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance – and that includes religious freedom.

While I do think that we as Christians need to fight for our rights, I think we must get all of the facts right. As Christians we are always under the watchful eye of society, to get something wrong, will be looked at as incompetence or just " those Christians whining again". I myself will be boycotting Walmart if further research shows I need too. But the fact is you can search walmart . com and the search for Christmas takes you too a Christmas page, where 7,964 Items are listed. Now if this was done as damage control after the Catholic League check there I do not know. Please do not take this as a negitive against the Catholic League they do great things for us and the faith and I believe they do God’s work, but before we start forwarding this to everyone we know check to make sure things have not changed.
If we are to Defend the church we must check out all things before we take action.

May Gods grace be with you all
MJ

Red and White are the colours of christmas? The only reason things are red and white are because of coca cola. Yup good ole coca cola. santa for example used be perdicted in the colour green, until Good ole coca cola got hold of him and dressed him their companies colours. Maybe there are people out there are people out their who worship coke? And i didn’t know the ancient siberian sharmans were christians… fancy that. Every thing that kirby guy said is wrong.

[quote=misterX]The only reason things are red and white are because of coca cola. Yup good ole coca cola. santa for example used be perdicted in the colour green, until Good ole coca cola got hold of him and dressed him their companies colours.
[/quote]

Untrue.

– Mark L. Chance.

I agree Kirby was wrong what I was concerned about was everyone sending this to all there friends without getting proof that it is actually happening. I believe it did but we must be careful not to sow discord amougn those who would fight for justice.

MJ

[quote=misterX]Red and White are the colours of christmas? The only reason things are red and white are because of coca cola. Yup good ole coca cola. santa for example used be perdicted in the colour green, until Good ole coca cola got hold of him and dressed him their companies colours. Maybe there are people out there are people out their who worship coke? And i didn’t know the ancient siberian sharmans were christians… fancy that. Every thing that kirby guy said is wrong.
[/quote]

Actually the Colors of Christmas are Red and Green. Red, the color of blood (which he shed for us.) Green, the color of hope. White somehow also got incorporated, the color of purity.

What the “Holiday Season” has turned into has become pathetic. I went to the mall on Friday, they already have all the decorations up and the kids are taking picture with Santa! And of course you Can’t say, “Merry Christmas,” someone might get offended. I talked with one of my fellow employees on Friday morning just about that. I stated that if you’re Catholic, Chirstmas lasts for nearly 3 weeks. I told her I have finally two years ago gotten through to my family and we don’t put up the decorations until Gaudete Sunday and we keep them up until the Baptism of the Lord. We keep the Nativity scene up until Candlemas Eve. I told her about the great irony. All through December the only thing in the Church that looks like Christmas is the Advent wreath. When the stores are taking the decorations down, we’re putting them up in the Church. I don’t listen to Christmas music until December 25th and I continue to until the Baptism of the Lord. It drives my Agnostic Uncle nuts, but I let him know Christmas does not end on December 26th, it is the 2nd day of the Christmas Octave, St. Stephen’s Feast Day.

Mixing the secular with the religious is bogus.:tsktsk:

Christmas should be returned to being a religious holiday.:clapping:

It is now a celebration of greed. :bigyikes:

The “In God We Trust” on the dollar bill reflects the current belief of society that the dollar is the god we trust in.

• Kathie :bowdown:

The jib Jab has a nice animation on Big Box Mart:

jibjab.com/Home.aspx

:clapping:

[quote=harinkj]Mixing the secular with the religious is bogus.:tsktsk:

Christmas should be returned to being a religious holiday.:clapping:

It is now a celebration of greed. :bigyikes:

The “In God We Trust” on the dollar bill reflects the current belief of society that the dollar is the god we trust in.

[/quote]

Each of the above statements show great wisdom.

I am not surprised that for some companies there is a real conflict between the name of Christ and their best commercial season. Jesus spoke about this in Matt 6:24 (JB)
“No one can be the slave of two masters: he will either hate the first and love the second, or treat the first with respect and the second with scorn. You cannot be the slave both of God and of money.”

Well, in the good old U.K it isnt wrong to say “Merry Christmas” yet, lol.

Though I do find it strange that Christians gave their children presents at Christmas.

Sure it seems normal now.

But imagine giving your kids presents on the feast day of a great saint. It’s just strange. How much more so therefore when celebrating the birth of Our Lord.

:slight_smile:

Christ Almighty is great!

[quote=misterX]Red and White are the colours of christmas? The only reason things are red and white are because of coca cola. Yup good ole coca cola. santa for example used be perdicted in the colour green, until Good ole coca cola got hold of him and dressed him their companies colours. Maybe there are people out there are people out their who worship coke? guy said is wrong.
[/quote]

This is as looney as the Walmat guy’s comment. :whacky:

Originally posted by MJ 1964
I agree Kirby was wrong what I was concerned about was everyone sending this to all there friends without getting proof that it is actually happening. I believe it did but we must be careful not to sow discord amougn those who would fight for justice.

If you visit the Catholic League site at the link provided, you’ll see that Walmart admits it happened, even to the point of firing the guy.

All this fuss over “Merry Christmas” vs “Happy Holidays”, but Merry Christmas isn’t a very holy greeting either. Is there some other more appropriate greeting that would address the special nature of the day?

Just musing…

cheddar

Maybe, blessings on the feast day of the Lord of Lords. Personally I like to say Merry Christ-Mass and maybe just maybe they’ll put two and two together and figure out that it is really the Mass of Christ :slight_smile: . Just a thought

Grace and peace be yours
MJ

Where I live it is common for folks to say “Blessed Christmas” and for store clerks, waitresses etc to say “Have a Blessed day” at any time of year.

This makes it clear where they stand.

cheddar

[quote=cheddarsox]Where I live it is common for folks to say “Blessed Christmas” and for store clerks, waitresses etc to say “Have a Blessed day” at any time of year.

This makes it clear where they stand.

cheddar
[/quote]

BRAVO!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.