Walmart to Begin Offering Checking Accounts

time.com/money/3425305/walmart-bank-checking-accounts/

I am not sure how anyone is harmed by having one more choice in the marketplace. I do know that several of my immigrant friends use them to transfer money overseas because they are cheaper than the check cashing places.

They may as well. They cash more checks than all the banks combined.

Loblaw’s (a major supermarket chain) in Canada has chequing and savings accounts, all with the PC (President’s Choice) debit card. They may very well have more banking services, I don’t know.

Not to mention, they will probably do it better than current traditional banks.

This is interesting. I hope that they do well.

I think that it’s a good idea actually, as they already offer many banking-type services as it is.

Sounds like they are heading toward the old “company store” racket that was dismantled years ago.

I don’t see how, after all, nobody is forced to have a bank account with them.

And nobody was forced to shop at a company store either…at first.

So, just how will Walmart force us to use their bank?

They certainly have more convenient hours than regular banks.

I have a cautious ‘wait and see’ feel here.

Many employees I have seen are already so dependent upon their employer for so much more then work that a wonder if they will end up with more dependence.

How would this make Walmart employees more dependent on Walmart?

Unless Walmart forces their employees to use their checking accounts, which I don’t see happening.

Since they can write these checks at any establishment they want your analogy is flawed from the start.

I will stick with my small town credit union. They have fast friendly service and know me so well that I haven’t been asked to show ID in years. I wonder how long you would have to wait in line for a WallyWorld bank?

I have not set foot in Wallmart I haven’t set foot in a Wall Mart for years. Their canned and frozen foods are good. But meat and produce stinks. And the clothes are made cheap and fall apart quickly.

The people who will be getting checking accounts with Wal-Mart would not be accepted by a Credit Union. I am glad you don’t shop at Wal mart-makes the lines shorter for the rest of us

Boy am I far from rich. I have to survive on $700 a month SSI payments due to me being disabled.

I just prefer to spend a little more on longer lasting quality, to buying the same shoddy merchandise over and over at Wall Mart. You save money in the long term that way. And having a limited income. I am all about saving money.

I have never bought shoddy merchandise at WalMart.

Probably no longer than they would have to wait in a regular bank.

I have not set foot in Wallmart I haven’t set foot in a Wall Mart for years. Their canned and frozen foods are good. But meat and produce stinks. And the clothes are made cheap and fall apart quickly.

I have never had a problem with their meat, produce, or clothes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.