Want a good way to buy fresh produce at a good price and do some volunteer work?

bountifulbaskets.org/

Yeah its only a few western states, but I am sure if you look in your area you could find something like this. Basically this co-op pools money and buys produce and other goods at wholesale prices and divvies them up, there are other costs involved with buying, coordinating and delivery of course. For $15 we can get 2 laundry baskets of fruit and veggies, we can also buy stuff in season at a discount and freeze or can. Like last year we got a case of corn, cooked it in salted water, chilled in ice water and froze. Way better then any other corn in the freezer and came out to $.20 per quart bag.

This is also a great way to get out of the house and meet others in your area, I knew one guy who got a good job from the networking that he got from it.

The only “bad” thing is that every week its completely different stuff. So you will get things that you never heard of or seen before. We love it for that reason, those who are picky may not.

For those in New England use servenewengland.org/

We run a local chapter out of the Chruch in Lincoln NH. There are 350 chapters in NE

What is the volunteer work? Portioning and serving the food? Could it be done w/ a baby in a carrier along?

If I do the work myself, our family could do this - but don't think I could convince DH to go. And I'd need to bring the baby along so I can feed her. But we could really use some cheap produce!

[quote="Onedayatatime, post:2, topic:192268"]
For those in New England use servenewengland.org/

We run a local chapter out of the Chruch in Lincoln NH. There are 350 chapters in NE

[/quote]

How does one find the chapters? Is there one is northeastern Maine?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.