Want to be a priest and love southern gospel music problem or no problem?

Want to be a priest and love southern gospel music problem or no problem?

I’m no authority but I doubt the Church would consider it a problem. You could even love Jewish cantorial music. OTOH, if you loved music with a Satanic message, that would surely be a problem.

Why would that be a problem? I have CDs from a heavy metal band whose keyboardist is a Catholic priest. :p. I doubt southern gospel would present a problem. :slight_smile:

No, not a problem.

But…there was a time when music composed by non-Catholics was forbidden from being performed during Mass.

I don’t think he meant during Mass but rather in his leisure time, we all listen to Music we like during our leisure time, while driving, mine is Gregorian Chant.

There’s no problem with an interest in that kind of music.

I just advise Catholics to be careful about supporting Protestant groups that run around Catholic countries trying to convert everyone .

Leisure time only. Songs like this
youtube.com/watch?v=SLPUYt1B630

youtube.com/watch?v=5iUxdkOy2ck

youtube.com/watch?v=BsoPjMauVFQ

yeah no issue there. It may not be good for the Mass but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t become a priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.