Want to have our wedding in Guam

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I hope I am posting this thread in the right place.

I am planning to get married the end of this year. My fiancee and I are both from Hong Kong and we are both Catholics. We both want to have a small, romantic wedding in Guam, and we both want to do it in a formal Catholic way.

I talked to many wedding planners in Hong Kong. They all have no idea about a religious wedding in Guam. All they can do is arranging a non-religious wedding in a chapel of a hotel.

I talked to the Father in my church last week. He said he could file the application for me. But he is not sure if the church in Guam would allow me to do so. He suggested me to make a contact with them to see if I can do that.

We want to have our wedding in Guam because we want our ceremony with family and close friends only. If we have it in Hong Kong, it’s impossible to make it small. Being Chinese, my fiancee and I will need to go through many traditional custom. And Chinese like making wedding a huge event. We may need to hold a big wedding ceremony with 300 guests whom we know only 10% of them. :frowning:

I have no idea on where to start. I don’t have the channel to contact the church in Guam. Do any of you have any information? Thanks. :slight_smile:

Here’s a link to the Archdiocese of Agana, Guam:

archdioceseofagana.com/

This might help.

I would go through the diocese in Guam as directed, but bear in mind you also have to find out about local civil law, which I assume is US law, and see what applies to you. Do you have a consul in Guam who can assist? basically you need to find a Catholic Church and priest in Guam willing to marry you, and find out what preparation you need, have your pre-Cana at home and bring proof, you will need up to date baptismal certificates showing all sacraments received, plus of course whatever travel docs you need. that priest can probably help you with local civil marriage law compliance. Your marriage will be registered in the church in which it takes place, with a notice sent to your baptismal parishes.

You also need written permission from your local parish, and perhaps diocese, to received sacraments outside their territory.

I don’t know how it is in other countries but in my Canadian diocese it works this way:

Couple contacts a priest in Guam who consents to marry them and set a date and time.

Couple meet with their pastor and complete the pre-nuptial investigation with him, indicating that they want to marry at X parish in Y town on Z date.

Priest forwards all the paperwork to his chancery along with Form for Testimonial Letter and Nihil Obstat Parts A (information about the couple) & B (Petition for Testimonial Letter) completed

If bishop consents he fills in Part C (Testimonial Letter) and forwards the documents to the Pastor where the marriage will take place.

Pastor fills out Part D (Petition for Nihil Obstat) and forwards the documents to his Bishop.

Bishop fills out Part E (Nihil Obstat) and returns documents to the pastor of the parish where the marriage will take place.

Since this is from Hong Kong to Guam allow lots of time for this to take place.

WOW!!!
I feel for you and will pray for you if you have to do all of the above to get married in Guam!!!
It is difficult enough to plan a wedding!! Hopfully it will be eaiser than it all sounds!!
Again best of luck and we will keep you in our prayers.

Thank you all for being so supportive. I’ve just got a phone number of the Chancery Offices of the Archdiocese of Agana. I will give them a call within this week. Hope things will work out fine.

Is_shum,

Hafa Adai! I am a local from Guam. My user name Humatac is the name one of our beautiful villages in the southern part of the island. If you need any help at all, I would be more than happy to assist. Our population is very small. We have a much easier time meeting with our Archbishop and other Church leaders because the island community is so small and close-knit. I will send you a message with my email address. Contact me if you wish. Congratulations!

Humatac

I know this is quite an old post from four years ago, but it seems to be the only lead thus far and this is a very limited thread already. But, I digress.

My wife and I plan to travel from Korea to get married in Guam this April.

Whom did you speak to and what contact information could you give me in regards to being married in the church in Guam? I have tried contacting the local parishes without any luck.

Thank you for your time.

With respect,

Timothy BB^^

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.