Want to learn Latin

Id like to learn Latin for the new Mass as well as some prayers.

Can anyone recommend a book on Latin?

Thanks!

Here are some things that might help. They have helped me. I have read through most everything. They aren’t really books, but I did print them all off and staple them myself, but whatever…

This website has a latin language course for those wanting to learn the TLM. Plus they have guides on how to serve the mass with server cards. In otherwords, a lot of information.

latin-mass-society.org/resources.htm

You can’t learn a spoken language from a book. Get a linguaphone Latin course. Searching round their site they seem not to promote anything except a few core languages, which I don’t believe. They certainly had Latin until recently.
Unfortunately the prices are very high, but it is worth it if you can manage it.

Get the Latina Christiana I set (search online for vendors). Includes book, DVD, CD.

I recommend that you type Latin Books into Amazon,com’s search engine. There are dozens of texts, many with reviews. Having studied Latin in high school and graduate school, I would highly recommend taking a class at a local college. It is really tough learning a language just from a book.

There are a few mp3 websites also. Maybe start out with the New Testament:

helding.net/greeklatinaudio/latin/

Or ecclesiastical Latin:

www2.sfu.ca/classics/latin/ecclesia/

Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin

Answer Key to a Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin

Can't help ya on the book.  However, try this site:  [www.latin-mass-society.org](www.latin-mass-society.org)       It's actually the Latin Mass Society of England and Wales.  Click on resources.  Should be a big help.:thumbsup:

Wheelock’s Latin, but you have to rememver that like most Latin books it teaches the Classical pronunciation, which is differant from Ecclesiastical Latin.

If you want to learn specifically Ecclesiastical Latin, Collins’s Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin is the way to go. However, in my opinion Collins’ presentation of the material is less than ideal (I have taught from this book and the students found the chunks of grammar thrown at them to be a bit overwhelming, though that may have been largely due to my inexperience as a teacher and my desire to get through as much as possible in one semester). I would say that Wheelock is probably better as a textbook, and there’s nothing wrong with learning classical Latin even if that’s not your main interest–it will give you the ability to read a wider variety of texts than if you just learn ecclesiastical Latin.

Edwin

Have you *<ahem> *considered the recommendations in the Sticky: [thread=173658]Latin Resources[/thread] thread?

tee

See [thread=84634]this thread[/thread].

At the Tridentine Mass you can learn a lot of Latin. The same goes for Ordinary Mass when Latin is used.

If by chance you live in Chicagoland St. John Cantius offers Latin courses. I’ve found them very helpful.

Here are excellent resources:
[LIST]
*] Simplicissimus, an excellent, free, online Latin course from the Latin Mass Society of England and Wales
*] Lewis & Short’s A Latin Dictionary, the famous Latin dictionary accessible for free online
*] Perseus Word Study Tool, a morphological analysis of inflected Latin words
[/LIST]It is great you want to learn Latin. Read what the Baltimore Catechism says about Latin:

Q. 566. Why does the Church use the Latin language instead of the national language of its children?
A. The Church uses the Latin language instead of the national language of its children:[LIST=1]
*]To avoid the danger of changing any part of its teaching in using different languages;
*]That all its rulers may be perfectly united and understood in their communications;
*]To show that the Church is not an institute of any particular nation, but the guide of all nations.
[/LIST]

This is a good Latin grammar: by Charles E. BennettNew Latin Grammar

I actually came to this thread on google using catholic and learn latin as my keywords but before i used catholic in the search I found this website:

www.learnlatinonlinefree.com

Has anyone looked at this website? What do you think of it? I just started looking today during my lunch break so I will look over it more on the weekend - as well as the links provided in this thread prior to my post.

High School revives ‘dead’ language

normantranscript.com/headlines/x1901576605/Norman-High-School-revives-dead-language

[quote="piscotikus, post:1, topic:80440"]
Can anyone recommend a book on Latin?

[/quote]

Yes, there are many resources listed here.

I asked the same question as you six months and did a huge amount of research. I looked at all the things mentioned here in this thread.

In the end I have selected Latina Lingua

lingua-latina.dk/index2.htm

The entire book is in Latin. There is not a single English word in the book. The idea is that it presents really straightforward situations so that you can learn new words because they are obvious from the context what they mean.

The only adjunct I believe you need for this is the Latin-English word translator which can be downloaded free off the Internet. This has all the words translated from the Latina Lingua book so that you are not having to wade through an entire dictionary.

So this is my goal. Average 30mins-1 hour per day. After 1 year (6 months to go) I should have mastered this first book. Another year later I should have mastered the second book. After that I should be able to read the psalms and the Latin Mass and other Latin books.

I tell you this is incredibly rewarding and interesting but horrendously difficult. My brain is not what it used to be. I urge younger men to do this now while you still have that bright spark in your mind. There is an element of truth in the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". Although I am fighting that adage tooth and nail.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.