Wanted: Parish apologist

I am a member of parish in north suburban Chicago. The parish is currently giving serious thought to the possibility of hiring a staff apologist.

The job responsibilities would include field work (going door-to-door) to meet with parishioners and potential parishioners in their homes to answer questions/concerns re: Catholic teaching and to invite people to join us for Mass.

The job would include full salary and benefits. For questions, etc. please e-mail tim_roemer@yahoo.com.

What town?

Pretty awesome idea! Just want to say KUDOS to your parish!!

[quote=nancy3159]I am a member of parish in north suburban Chicago. The parish is currently giving serious thought to the possibility of hiring a staff apologist.

The job responsibilities would include field work (going door-to-door) to meet with parishioners and potential parishioners in their homes to answer questions/concerns re: Catholic teaching and to invite people to join us for Mass.

The job would include full salary and benefits. For questions, etc. please e-mail tim_roemer@yahoo.com.
[/quote]

We hire full time DRE’s and Youth Ministers so why not a full time person for “Evangelization”. Which is really where this would fit!

Awesome!! Wish I lived there, I will have to tell my Pastor.

[quote=nancy3159]I am a member of parish in north suburban Chicago. The parish is currently giving serious thought to the possibility of hiring a staff apologist.

[/quote]

If this “Office of Evangelization” with a full time director @ $45,000 total cost and some part time volunteers produced 100 new members each year they would more than pay for it with an average $15/week X 100 collection increment.

Sounds more like a staff *evangelist * rather than a staff apologist. To me, even though apologetics is actually a handmaiden to evangelization, there is a difference.

I see a staff apologist in performing duties like doing a weekly Q & A in the bulletin and operating a hot-line to answer questions about the Faith, preparing and/or giving apologetics presentations to other staff and various ministries, meeting with people who have questions about the Faith, and organizing apologetics seminars or studies, including booking well known speakers.

If you ever run into a job like that, let me know–I’ll be first in line!

The town is Highland Park IL.

The pastor still has to sign off on it, but let’s offer some prayers that the Holy Spirit guide him in the decision making.

[quote=Fidelis]Sounds more like a staff *evangelist *rather than a staff apologist. To me, even though apologetics is actually a handmaiden to evangelization, there is a difference.

I see a staff apologist in performing duties like doing a weekly Q & A in the bulletin and operating a hot-line to answer questions about the Faith, preparing and/or giving apologetics presentations to other staff and various ministries, meeting with people who have questions about the Faith, and organizing apologetics seminars or studies, including booking well known speakers.

If you ever run into a job like that, let me know–I’ll be first in line!
[/quote]

Most of what you list are duties and responsibilities of a PCL (Parish Catechetical Leader) or DRE.

No responses to the post so far.
People would love to have desk jobs, to be directors and administrators, program designers. No one, so far, wants to do the real field work of talking to folks one on one.
We are hoping to offer a real job here :a living wage in a nice town with benefits and a contract., doing important work.
I would have thought there would be lots of inquiries. So far, nothing.
And people quibble about job titles. Good grief.
It says something about the quality of the .

I would apply except for four things. The third and fourth might be of use to you:

1. I love being a SAHM.
  2. I don’t live close-by.
  3. I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough in the faith to be titled “Apologist.” You might be looking for someone who can answer basic questions you’d get in a confirmation class, but I would wager a few dollars on the fact that the title is intimidating to some who might otherwise be qualified. (Of course, once the person gets onboard, it is a great title to have.)
  4. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty around the job still: the priest has not signed off on it, the person will be door to door knocking (where? In what neighborhoods? unsolicited? are you willing to re-evaluate what is working and what isn’t? do you have a set goal? how will the position be evaluated? etc etc etc.) it looks to be overlapping into DRE territory; will there be a DRE who will feel imposed upon? And on and on in this manner.

I am sending an email for more info. I am willing to relocate, this seems very interesting to me.

God Bless
Scylla

Nancy,

People here might not think they are qualified for such a spot. I know of a person who might be qualitfied, yet that person lives 3-0-40 miles from Highland Park, is married and has many kids, and simply cannot relocate.

I will pray for your parish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.