Wanting to be a priest...closer relationship with Jesus needed

Hey, everyone.

I'm new here so forgive me if I don't know what's going on. I'm a junior and I feel as though God is calling me to be a priest. I've talked to my vocations director but I want to know how young men in situations similar to mine develop a more personal relationship with our Lord, and along with His mother. Thanks!

Spend time with Jesus.

I can’t always make it to Adoration so my spiritual director told me to spend a little bit of time with Jesus by looking at a crucifix. It isn’t perfect but having Adoration at my church only once a week makes it impossible to go to Adoration every day. Also, go to Mass as often as you can. Spending time with Jesus is the best thing you can do to get to know him.

You can also try Lectio Divina. Learn Lectio and spend a few minutes every day in Lectio to learn who God is.

To get to know Mary I believe the best way is through the rosary and by just talking to her. I guess I can sometimes be like a child but when I can’t sleep and am tossing and turning I ask Mary console me and to tuck me in as my mom did when I was a little kid. She has never failed me.

God bless

Hey nubie No worries :slight_smile: the way I started developing my relationship was through the Rosary, regularly attending Mass and frequently receiving the Sacraments of Confession and the Eucharist

May God Bless you and show you the path he wants you to follow

Play on your talents and interests. Bring Jesus into everything you do. I’ve always been an avid reader, so instead of picking up a secular book I’ll read religious books: the Bible, “The Imitation of Christ” (would definitely recommend this book!), even papal encyclicals. If you like reading, do the same. If you like art, create art that gives praise to Him. If you like music, make songs about Him. And you get the idea - find a way to bring Jesus into your hobbies and interests. If you share these things you love with Him it can really help strengthen your relationship with Him.

Another thing I find helpful is the daily meditation booklets ‘Word Among Us’. It comes out monthly and contains the mass readings for each day with meditations based on them and faith articles. I find being able to read the mass readings for each day and having to think about them is very helpful.

I thought I was called once, and someone gave me the advice of, “if you can imagine yourself doing anything else, then do that.” Inspired words. I ended up not seeking the priesthood. I read a passage in Timothy, that listed charactoristics of either a priest or deacon, and I didnt match up.

Trials really brought me closer to the Lord. My dad died and soon after my wife left me. The Spirit was gracious to me, and helped me to trust Him and in turn come even closer. I wouldnt go out and seek a tradgedy to bring you closer, but empty yourself to Him. Its not as easy as it sounds.

[quote="Dsivanish, post:5, topic:225472"]
I thought I was called once, and someone gave me the advice of, "if you can imagine yourself doing anything else, then do that." Inspired words. I ended up not seeking the priesthood. I read a passage in Timothy, that listed charactoristics of either a priest or deacon, and I didnt match up.

Trials really brought me closer to the Lord. My dad died and soon after my wife left me. The Spirit was gracious to me, and helped me to trust Him and in turn come even closer. I wouldnt go out and seek a tradgedy to bring you closer, but empty yourself to Him. Its not as easy as it sounds.

[/quote]

What is the passage from Timothy?

I suggest going to Adoration as much as you can :slight_smile: and receiving the Sacraments… pray the Rosary… there are some great books like “Consoling the Heart of Jesus” by Michael Gaitley, that have helped people to develop a more personal relationship with Our Lord :slight_smile: if you want to grow in your devotion to Mary, there are some great devotions like the Rosary, the 7 Sorrows chaplet, and books such as “True Devotion to Mary” or “the Secret of the Rosary”

God bless!

1 Timothy 3. I think the NIV translation was the first that I read and it reads a little different than the version I’m reading now, NASB.

Thanks!

And everyone, thank you for the responses. Please pray for my discernment! :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.