Ware State Prison: South Georgia prison on lockdown after 2 staff and 3 inmates were injured

Ware State Prison: South Georgia prison on lockdown after 2 staff and 3 inmates were injured

By Dakin Andone and Alta Spells, CNN 1 hr ago

A south Georgia prison was put on lockdown early Sunday morning after two staff members and three inmates were injured in a “disturbance caused by inmates,” according to the Georgia Department of Corrections.

The so-called disturbance at Ware State Prison in Waycross, Georgia, is currently under investigation by the GDC, spokeswoman Joan Heath said in a statement Sunday.

“The cause of the disturbance is unknown at this time,” she said.

“The cause of the disturbance is unknown at this time,” she said.

It was subhuman conditions, happy to help.

Solidarity with our incarcerated brothers.

Maybe they should avoid committing subhuman acts to avoid the “subhuman conditions”.

I’m sorry you feel that way. I’m Catholic so I’m required to respect the dignity of prisoners.

And the dignity of the prison officers as well and all the people in the facility.

Yup! Guards at the prison have been posting on social media that this was entirely preventable and mostly the fault of the warden. When you starve people, don’t let them take showers, turn off the air circulation in the middle of the Georgia summer, and numerous other violations of prisoners’ rights then people will eventually stand up for themselves.

What acts did they commit?

I suggest looking for their rap sheets.

Do you know what they did?

That is what their rap sheets are for.

I’ll take that as a “no.” The article doesn’t even give their names.

Also prisoners should not be held in brutal conditions regardless of their crimes - the dignity of those imprisoned is something the Church stresses as importance in a justice system. If they were indeed being denied basic rights then it is no surprise a prison riot would occur eventually.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.