Warning - sonic pollution ahead Mr. Scott. William Shatner 'Sings' the blues

I’m posting this solely for laughs, Shatner’s ‘singing’ is atrocious but given the tradition of many people associated with Trek releasing awful bits of music it fits into that tradition. I’m aware there are people associated with Trek who are also capable musicians but Bill is er…not.

2 Likes

For someone from Trek who can actually produce something of genuine musical merit:-

1 Like

Don’t forget Nana Visitor in DS9 doing “Fever”!

Yeah that’s decent as well, but honestly Shatner is only getting away with doing that noise pollution due to being well William Shatner. He does an excellent job breeding horses and has a reputation in that world I am aware of, just as Nimoy was well thought of as a photographer but I’m presuming Will must know this stuff is awful. Of course there is the late Mr. Nimoy doing songs about Bilbo Baggins:-

Aaaarg!

It started quite well. Love the guitar intro. But then…

1 Like

Well that’s Brad Paisley on guitar who is a very well known guitarist and Will Shatner has got some huge names on there, but as I say they are likely only playing on this thing because it is Shatner. The other songs on the album are as bad if not worse. He particularly murders ‘The Thrill is Gone’, one of B.B. King’s signature songs.

1 Like

This album is in my collection and I enjoy it. It has light moments and very thoughtful moments.

I shall try it, I’m fond of Shatner let it be said and when he sadly passes on it will be like a moment of my youth going.

2 Likes

I actually prefer to remember them for what they were famous for…not any other “talents” they may or may not of had. Even if Shatner had a lovely voice, I really don’t care as I love him for his acting roles, not his singing, dancing or origami skillz!

I will state though…he’s a much better Captain Kirk than a blues singer…much, much better. Even his acting was mediocre at best but he had a talent for taking roles that worked with his acting skill.

2 Likes

Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) has a nice voice and may even be a trained singer.

1 Like

Shatner’s other big talents revolve around horses as noted above, quite a few of the Trek cast have interesting personal backgrounds. But yes it is as Kirk he will always be remembered and Kirk is an unique blend of hammy acting and at times a bit of depth.

1 Like

She is, she sang with Duke Ellington at one point when younger. She is sadly now suffering from dementia.

3 Likes

Sounds like he’s having the time of his life.

1 Like

I resisted this thread like a temptation for a while. Then, in a moment of weakness, I fell. Now I’m experiencing remorse.

1 Like

‘Having a thing is not as pleasant as wanting it. It is not logical but often true’ to borrow, more or less, a sentiment from a well-known Vulcan.

1 Like

A lot of Shatner’s ‘singing’ is actually talking. ‘Hey - Mr Tanbourine Man! Play! A song for me!’

Yes, it’s like he is talking or reading a poem. Other people do this thing mind you in fairness to Bill, including some big names.

Roger Moore, for one.

Leonard Cohen more or less talks on some pieces I can think of as do some others. Not that I am placing Bill remotely in Mr. Cohen’s class and I just view Bill as a having a good laugh here.

But they are both from Montreal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.