Was Bernardin Homosexual? (from the "Banning gays" thread)

On the “Banning gays from Seminaries (as reported in the news)?” thread, a link was posted…

catholicintl.com/epologetics/articles/pastoral/homosexual-priests1.htm

…and this article stated:

As for the NCCB, its originator, the late Cardinal Joseph Bernardin of Chicago, was himself accused of homosexuality. The three cases against him, and three other bishops, were quietly settled out of court.

Now I’ve only read one biography of Bernardin, shortly after his death, and, if I’m not mistaken, there was only one accusation of homosexuality and Bernardin made the accusation known publicly, denied it, and the man who made the allegation recanted with no court trial and no pay off. This is the first I’ve heard of three cases and, too, the first I’ve read that any cases were settled out of court.

I also know that Malachi Martin, in that awful tome Windswept House, had a thinly disguised Bernardin all but offering Mass in drag…

So what’s the real scoop? As I’m not one of those who buys into the idea that Martin was a man in the know so much that he was not-so-secretly assassinated by Jesuits at the behest of the Vatican, I’m looking for the truth here: not a conspiracy theory.

Considering who runs the site where this comes from, I would consider it suspect.

PF

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Considering who runs the site where this comes from, I would consider it suspect.

PF
[/quote]

That was my thought, as well - I just thought something stated so matter-of-factly would be factual (not that facts have anything to do with what some think!).

Will continue to see if I can ferret out any more information from reliable sources online…

(Just wondering - does WanderAimlessly read The Wanderer? I was given a gift subscription.)

[quote=ben_dy](Just wondering - does WanderAimlessly read The Wanderer? I was given a gift subscription.)
[/quote]

No I do not. My Nick Name is a joke from my days on Prodigy when I would wander off and surf the web during chats there.

PF

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.