Was Bishop Fulton Sheen a mason?

Hello.

I just read on another website (non-Catholic, non-religious) that Bishop Sheen was a mason and lied about one of his degrees.

Is this true, or is it an attempt to tarnish his reputation?

Would appreciate any information. I really hope none of this is true because he was such an excellent person.

Please someone, tell me I’m way out in left field.

Consider the source of your information.

It’s a lie.

What a load of rubbish!

You shouldn’t read the garbage that the extremists write; some of them even believe that there is no Pope!

Don’t believe anything they say! They have an agenda!

Geez, they’ll do anything to destroy our faith huh? Don’t believe it. Bishop Sheen was a great man, and in fact is undergoing the process to be made a saint.

Fulton Sheen actually got men to quit the Masons and become Catholics, so the information is obviously, false.

Also, his degrees were from American Universities which are easily verified.

Jim

No, and there is not a particle of evidence that he was a meson either:rolleyes:

(Let’s see how many understand that pun):whistle:

Thank you all. I think I’m going to do some reading about this and see if I can find how this sort of venom ever got started.

Anyone know any sources to get me started?

Thank you all, again, for your posts. I was just so shocked when I read that terrible stuff about Bishop Sheen. Geesh.

Thank you all. I think I’m going to do some reading about this and see if I can find how this sort of venom ever got started

*** Unmitigated hatred of the Catholic Church.:frowning:

Anyone know any sources to get me started?

*** Why Bother?:frowning:

Thank you all, again, for your posts. I was just so shocked when I read that terrible stuff about Bishop Sheen. Geesh.

*** Get used to it.:frowning:

There's a reason the word slander and the term half truth exists and one must be careful with what one reads on the Internet. I came across "user review" on the Netflix online dvd rental service, and on just about all of the Fulton Sheen dvds a single poster had reviewed all of Sheen's videos by pasting the same review which claimed:

• "Sheen was popular in the 50's but then fell off the scene when it was found that he faked a degree. Also, member of the Masonic Lodge."*

In reality, Bishop Sheen earned a doctorate in philosophy from the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., and studied at the Louvain in Belgium where he earned a Ph.D. in philosophy. He was also the first American to earn the Agrege en Philosophie in 1925, passing with the highest distinction. His dissertation became a prize-winning book, winning the admiration of G. K. Chesterton, whowrote the forward to Sheen's book: God And Intelligence in Modern Philosophy. in 1925.

Be careful. There are also sites which "prove" that the pope is the anti-christ, and that the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon.This comes from ignorant and uninformed people who are very quick to spread slander about the Catholic Church and its leaders.

It's a goal of the Masons to undermine and destroy the Catholic Church. They are a false, man-made religion. They appeal to people's pride--Gnostics and esoterics always do.

Claiming Bp Sheen was a Mason is like claiming St Maximilian Kolbe was a Mason. :D

St Max formed the Militia Immaculata specifically as a result of witnessing a violent demonstration of Italian Freemasons against the Church. His prayers include intentions against the Masons and all the church's enemies. He knew we are in a great spiritual battle. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.