Was "Father" Greeley Ever Sanctioned?

MSNBC’s Chris Mathews had “Father” Greeley on last night. Greeley sided with the non-Catholic side on the major cultural issues of our time. But, with Mathews’ assistance, Greeley speaks as though he represents the Catholic Church.

Has Greeley ever been formally sanctioned?

If not, I wonder why not?

He has not, as far as I know, ever been “sanctioned” by his bishop because in fact he does not speak for the Catholic Church. What he speaks are just his own opinions.

In one sense, you might say he has been sanctioned, since organizationally, with respect to the Church, he remains a parish priest, and that’s probably about as far as he could ever expect to progress given his present circumstances and opinions.

But that probably doesn’t bother him too much. He earns a great deal as a novelist, as well as a professional sociologist, (National Opinion Research Center) so being a parish priest is almost a secondary occupation for him.

[quote=JimG]He has not, as far as I know, ever been “sanctioned” by his bishop because in fact he does not speak for the Catholic Church. What he speaks are just his own opinions.

In one sense, you might say he has been sanctioned, since organizationally, with respect to the Church, he remains a parish priest, and that’s probably about as far as he could ever expect to progress given his present circumstances and opinions.

But that probably doesn’t bother him too much. He earns a great deal as a novelist, as well as a professional sociologist, (National Opinion Research Center) so being a parish priest is almost a secondary occupation for him.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

If I were to go on TV wearing a shirt with my employer’s name on it to tell folks I disagreed with all of the major decisions of my company’s upper management, I’d probably get fired.

Shouldn’t the same happen to Greeley ?

[quote=PaulKorb]MSNBC’s Chris Mathews had “Father” Greeley on last night. Greeley sided with the non-Catholic side on the major cultural issues of our time. But, with Mathews’ assistance, Greeley speaks as though he represents the Catholic Church.

Has Greeley ever been formally sanctioned?

If not, I wonder why not?
[/quote]

Not yet, but soon!

I’m not even Catholic and “Father” Greeley makes me want to throw up. I hope very badly that this new pope will publically sanction this “wolf in sheeps clothing”. It would surely make my day.

[quote=PaulKorb]Thanks for the info.

If I were to go on TV wearing a shirt with my employer’s name on it to tell folks I disagreed with all of the major decisions of my company’s upper management, I’d probably get fired.

Shouldn’t the same happen to Greeley ?
[/quote]

Maybe so. But what would “being fired” mean–except either being removed from his diocesan assignment, or possibly being laicized. I don’t think he will be laicized, and to tell the truth, I don’t really know if he has a parish assignment.

[quote=JimG]Maybe so. But what would “being fired” mean–except either being removed from his diocesan assignment, or possibly being laicized. I don’t think he will be laicized, and to tell the truth, I don’t really know if he has a parish assignment.
[/quote]

I guess “being fired” means being excommunicated, but I don’t really know how that works. From how I see it, house rules apply, and if someone doesn’t like the rules, he should probably be shown the door.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.