Was I absolved?

I went to Confession last Saturday, and as I was reflecting back on it, I can't remember actually being absolved for my sins. I remember saying an Act of Contrition, but my memory is awful, and I cannot recall the priest giving me absolution. He has a bit of an accent, and I rarely understand him, though I try. He let me leave, so I am assuming he did absolve me, but I just don't remember it at all. Is it possible I wasn't? I'm afraid I may have taken the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin.

While it is always possible that the priest made a mistake (they are human after all) since you admit to having a bad memory and trouble understanding what the priest is saying, I would think that it is more likely that you were absolved.

That being said, I would likely go to confession again and explain that you do not remember being absolved of these sins before, so you are confessing them again.

As to taking the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin, while it is possible that you did this, in my opinion, it would not have been a new sin for you. For something to be a sin, you have to know that it was a sin and in this case, it appears that you did not know that you were sinning (if you did) and therefore, did not sin, at least mortally. It is possible this would still be a venial sin, but I am not sure if it would even be that.

Right - couldn’t have been a mortal sin if you didn’t know if you were absolved or not and every venial sin is forgiven during the course of active participation in Mass and reception of Eucharist anyway.

Thank you all for clarifying this for me. I looked up the words of absolution, and I believe the priest may have said them, but I will confess my sins again this Saturday during the Sacrament.

I am praying now for strength to trust God and avoid scrupulosity. Thank you all for your replies; God bless!

I have a horrible memory as well and often forget most of the advice given. Which reminds me I need to break a note pad with me to write down the particulars. I usually focus on one or 2 bits of advice so I don't forget.

As for your case, I feel sorry for you that you think you were not absolved. You don't know for sure but you did confess and believe in your heart that you confessed to the best of your ability. God is not waiting outside the confessional to hammer you to oblivion. He gave us his son for goodness sake. He loves you. He knows what is in your heart. He knows you confessed your sins. Don't limit God's forgiveness. You ask for it you receive it.

[quote="classica87, post:1, topic:322277"]
Is it possible I wasn't?

[/quote]

No, it isn't. If all other conditions were met (e.g., you were contrite, you confessed all the (mortal) sins you could remember, etc), and the priest intended to do what the Church does in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, then even if he messed it up in how he said the absolution -- then you were absolved. Period. Don't lose a minute's sleep over it.

I'm afraid I may have taken the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin.

I'm not sure if you mean "I was in a state of mortal sin before Confession, so maybe I was still in that state?" or if you mean "did I sin mortally if I took Eucharist after an invalid Confession?". Either way, though: no. You're fine.

If it would ease your mind, then go to Confession and tell the priest about what happened. However, he might get the impression that you suffer from scrupulosity, so don't be surprised if he brings that up!

Blessings,

G.

=classica87;10598611]I went to Confession last Saturday, and as I was reflecting back on it, I can't remember actually being absolved for my sins. I remember saying an Act of Contrition, but my memory is awful, and I cannot recall the priest giving me absolution. He has a bit of an accent, and I rarely understand him, though I try. He let me leave, so I am assuming he did absolve me, but I just don't remember it at all. Is it possible I wasn't? I'm afraid I may have taken the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin.

here's how to tell:D

Were YOU asked to "make an act of Contrition?" IF so "Go and [God Help US] sin no more.

Not to worry. You DID your part; GOD MOST ASSUREDLY did His! Amen

:D Gorgias, That's what I thought. I am feeling better now. I am just taking a new medicine that I have only been on for a week; it is for depression and anxiety, and it is causing me to feel a bit "off." I'm hoping this will be over soon, but my doctor can't make any recommendations for new medicine or gauge the effectiveness of this one until I have been through the whole trial period, which is three weeks.

Sigh.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.