Was I being slothful?

Hey everyone. First, happy Easter! My husband and I went to the Easter Vigil last night at our parish and we were both baptized and received Holy Communion for the first time; so we are now officially Catholic. I know that we are obligated to make it to mass every Sunday but I remember someone from the church saying that if you went to the Easter Vigil on Saturday night , that you didn’t have to attend the following Mass on Sunday. Basically, the night of Easter Vigil counts as your one day a week that you’re obligated to attend mass, if I understand correctly. Knowing this, I still wanted to get up this morning and attend Sunday mass. We didn’t get home until close to midnight last night and then my husband and I laid in bed talking for hours before I finally fell asleep. I was still kind of excited I guess about the events that had just taken place at the Easter Vigil and was having a hard time getting my mind to slow down so that I could get some sleep. We talked mostly about spiritual stuff/catholic teachings, things like that. Finally I dozed off around 5am or so, knowing that I was only going to get a couple hours of sleep. But, I still had every intention of getting myself up and going to Sunday mass.

Well, my alarm went off a couple hours later. I turned it off and fell back asleep. Realizing how tired I was, I thought maybe it would be better to attend the second mass of the morning instead of the earliest mass (The early mass on Sunday is at 9 AM, the late one is at 11:30 AM). By the time I woke up for the second time, it was already 10:40 am, which is too late to go the second mass. It takes us 40-45 min just to drive to church and I wasn’t even dressed or anything yet.

As I said, I know I wasn’t obligated to go today since I went to the Easter Vigil last night but it’s just the fact that I had intended to go but didn’t, that kind of bothers me. Could this be considered slothfullness or laziness on my part because I chose to continue sleeping instead of getting up for church as I intended? Is it something I’d need to confess before taking communion again? Sorry if this seems like a silly question. I’m just new to all of this and I don’t want to receive communion if I’m not worthy. Thanks in advance.

No, that is not anywhere near mortal sin. Mortal sin requires 1. grave matter, 2. full knowledge, and 3. deliberate consent.

Yes, the Easter Vigil Mass satisfied your Sunday obligation. The Saturday evening Mass always satisfies the Sunday obligation.

Welcome home to the Church.

You can read today’s Easter Mass readings at:

usccb.org/bible/readings/041617.cfm

They are different than the readings you heard at the Vigil Mass last night.

Thanks for your reply. I am so happy to hear that. Have a wonderful easter!

OP, welcome home and the happiest of Easters to you!

Congratulations! You are fine! My wife went through confirmation and first communion at the vigil as well, she talked til about 1:30-2:00. They didn’t explain that part (post vigil talkathon) in RCIA…:slight_smile:

You might want to make a list of things like that you thinkq might be ‘problems’ to address at RCIA. My wife has about 6 more sessions, and I’ve noticed several, oh yeah, forgot to tell you topics have come up.

Again, congratulations on ‘swimming the Tiber’ as the saying goes!

So, let’s see if I have this right…

You attended Sunday Mass. Not just any Mass but the (yes, THE) pre-eminent, principle Mass of the Sunday-of-Sundays.

At that Mass, you renounced Satan, professed your faith in God and His Church. You received Baptism for the full and complete remission of all your sins, and for eternal life. Then, you received the Body of Christ.

After a long night, you slept-in. You rested.

Remind me now…On what day did you rest? On the Lord’s Day. On the Day which God Himself commanded us to put-aside as a day of rest.

So, here’s how I see it:

You first fulfilled you obligation to God by attending the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass on His designated Day, and your soul was washed clean of all sin. Then, you fulfilled your obligation to God to rest on the day which He commanded us to rest.

Does that mean you need to go to Confession?

Don’t you dare come into my confessional. I’ll say to you “Get out of here and come back when you have something to confess, you’re holding-up the line!” :thumbsup:

Thank you for the replies, and for the warm welcomes.

FrDavid- when you put it that way, it definitely doesn’t sound like I have anything to confess. I had actually forgotten about Sundays being a day of rest. I figured I was probably just being hard on myself but thought I’d ask just to be sure.

Welcome!

I was watching our new members being welcomed into the Church, undergoing their sacraments, leading the packed congregation up to Communion. Big broad grins, a few tears, and a long emotional night.

And recounting it all later at their welcome supper.

Then heading home looking very exhausted! :pray:

Absolutely not. You deserved to sleep in. In twenty years, you’ll look back on this day and wonder why you wondered. (Guess what. The Saturday vigil “counts” for Sunday celebration every single week. It’s the liturgy that’s celebrated which determines whether it “counts” or not. For example, a Saturday afternoon wedding mass doesn’t “count” for Sunday obligation.)

But if you’re still feeling scrupulous, check out in the Scriptures one of my favorite Easter stories, the tale of what happened to the disciples on the road to Emmaus. Luke 24:13-32. That, and evening prayer, can close out the mystagogy for you.

By the way, welcome to the class of 2017.

Yes, unfortunately the easter vigil is on saturday not sunday. You did not fulfill your obligation.

Of course the Easter Vigil fulfills the obligation to hear Mass on Easter.

You are positively wrong to say otherwise.

Ok lets take a wrong.

1). Is easter vigil on sunday? If not it does not satisfy the sunday obligation, regardless of your protests.

2). What evidence you have?

Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

jimmyakin.com/2004/04/fulfilling_the__1.html

Unfortunately you are wrong sir.

Are you really asking Don Ruggero what evidence he has ?

I mean seriously?

Are you really seriously telling Don Ruggero he is wrong with this?

Yes, Yes I am. You and Fr. Don have yet to provide any evidence, while I have provided numerous citations.

Did you read the text you quoted?

It says:

*Note that there is nothing in the law about there needing to be any particular readings or set of ceremonies needed to fulfill the obligation. Any Mass in any rite on the evening of the preceding day satisfied the obligation.

/…/

So despite the popular misconception, no particular rites or ceremonies are needed, and any Mass on Saturday evening–Easter Vigil Mass included–will satisfy the obligation for Sunday. *

Trinity do you have a degree in Theology? Have you been to Priest school? Ph.D perhaps in Canon Law?

Ps I asked this in another thread and FrDavid and others answered. I am not about to presume a Priest has no idea about his Parishoners Mass Obligations.

How inane would that be?

You sir , are in error. Be humble . Dont lead new Catholics wrong by stretching the truth. That is scandal. So is outright disobedience to a Parish Priest .

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=875896

Perhaps Father Vincent Serpa will convince you that it does satisfy the requirement.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.