Was I in a Sate of Mortal Sin When I Received the Eucharist?

Today I received the Eucharist. Yesterday I confessed all my sins except one, which was me getting angry at my pen and stabbing holes in a piece of paper. Was I in a state of mortal sin when I received the Eucharist? :confused:

What!??!

I don’t what religion this sin is from… I can’t offer advice m other than if you are from another religion and taking communion at a catholic church that is not nice

While poking holes in paper with a pen isn’t a sin, I thought wrath was a sin? :confused:

I am a Catholic.

This is not a sin, though you may wish to talk to your confessor about it anyway as you may be scrupulous if you tend to worry about these sorts of issues.

Wrath towards a person maybe. Wrath towards a pen? No.

Wrath upon a pen? Err perhaps if you didnt stress something like this being sinful you would not be wrapped so tight and ergo a bit less irritable?

Yes, “what?” I don’t know who or how well you were taught you about faith, anger or sin in your RCIA class, but generally anger is a venial sin unless it brings about a mortal sin. Stabbing holes in a paper is a stupid act, but not a mortal sin.

I think you should talk to a priest about scrupulosity, and then completely follow everything that the priest tells you to do.

Those who are dealing with scrupulosity should really avoid posting questions like this on the Internet as most people are not trained in responding to this condition.

You should be working with your confessor, both concerning the sacrament of reconciliation and its use and approaching the Eucharist. He and he alone should be who is helping you pastorally in this matter – not random strangers.

Well, some of us are not totally clueless when it come to replying to Melodonist. We know he is “brand new” to the faith, and trying to find his way. Some of us also know he is a tad immature and needs some balance in his life-even if it comes from strangers. I don’t consider myself all that random as I have been here quite a long time despite what the states show. A relationship with a confessor would seem ideal. In his situation he has limited contact with friends and peers. There are always two sides of the coin and I would not judge him to having problems with scruples just yet. Let him grow in the faith for a little bit and find his balance. Just my random opinion.

I agree completely.

Obviously, the scrupulosity issue is something to be dealt with by a competent confessor. (I should also mention that I suspect that a lot of people get classified as “scrupulous” on here, when all they are are ignorant and have an improperly formed conscience coupled with a genuine desire to do the right thing.)

But there’s also the question of when getting angry objectively becomes mortally sinful.

My own understanding:

If you **permit **yourself to get so angry that, if you could, you would seriously hurt or even kill someone; if you genuinely start experiencing hatred, or a desire for evil to come upon someone, based on your culpable anger; if you lose control of your reason entirely … you’ve objectively committed mortal sin.

I’m sure there’s other conditions/situations, but I would think those are the rather normal ones.

There’s also the issue of mitigating circumstances, such as intense pressure or stress, as well as the question of whether or not you’ve knowingly permitted yourself to get so utterly enraged you’ve subjectively committed mortal sin.

Most anger is, I think, what might be called a simple sin of weakness. This is where I would understand something like having a bit of a temper tantrum and acting it out by stabbing your paper with your pen.

There’s a world of difference between feeling offended, and genuinely wanting revenge to the point of inflicting grave damage, and simply having a temper tantrum.

You had another thread about the poking-holes-in-the-paper incident. Didn’t that answer your question about mortal sin? It seems to me that this fault, if it is even a sin, does not meet any of the 3 conditions for a sin to be mortal: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. How do you see it?

Your right. I’m just overthinking it. I wish it was easier to tell whether things are grave matter. :blush:

I’m confused. I talk to peers all the time. I have lots of people I know at church and at college. I talk to pretty much everyone I see. :shrug:

I think poking holes in a paper is probably one of the better ways of managing anger. Some people chop wood, exercise, hit a pillow. There’s one on the forum who suggested managing anger by going to the country with a watermelon and a rifle! That was actually one of my favorites! A friend of mine broke pencils when he got angry.

So no, I don’t believe you were in a state of mortal sin.

catholicpamphlets.net/pamphlets/Are%20You%20Scrupulous.pdf

You would know if you committed a mortal sin, because if you do not know, you did not commit a mortal sin. If the matter is not grave, which it definitely does not sound as though this was, it is not a mortal sin. And if you did not have full consent it cannot be mortal sin. As other posters have said, you need to talk to a confessor about this, and be obedient to the direction they give you. Bring it up with a priest if it concerns you this much, but I can’t imagine they’d tell you anything different than what posters here have said.

Yes. Well stated Father Ruggero.
I think this is the the most helpful post.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.