Was it a valid mass?

I recently moved and upon joining a new parish have noticed some differences, most notably a resurrected Christ in place of a crucifix above the altar, and the use of the Apostle’s Creed rather than the Nicene Creed. From my research, I believe these are both ok, although not necessarily recommended. However, last Sunday’s Mass has me particularly concerned. It was a children’s mass (that is, a mass geared towards and including children, but not solely for children). There were three specific things that left me wondering if ths Mass was even valid:

1. there was only one reading
  2. there was no Creed (Apostle’s or Nicene)
  3. children were invited to the altar for the consecration of the Euchaist

I figured this was done to make the mass more child-friendly, and it is just one mass per month, but is this allowed?

The only thing that would make a Mass invalid would be if they messed with the prayer of consecration in a substantial way and/or they used improper matter for the Eucharistic species.

Most any other “abuses” are illicit, but the Mass would still be valid.

As to what you are asking about, I’m honestly not sure. I know there are some different legitimate options for children’s liturgies. But I’m not familiar enough with the nuts and bolts to say exactly what they are.

Mass for children are even planned in rubrics (there is a preface dedicated to children), but the rest are abuses.

1.- For the Sundays, THREE MANDATORY READINGS are prescribed: one from the Old Testament (the Prophet), the Responsorial Psalm, and one from the Apostle (St Paul), and the Gospel. However, at Easter, according to the oldest tradition of the Church, the first reading is taken from the Acts of the Apostles. Solemnities have proper readings (the next All Saints’ Day has as readings the Revelation, the Psalm, the first letter of the Apostle St John, and the Gospel according to St Matthew). Feasts may have assigned readings; if not, they are taken from the ordinary.
2.- NO ONE IS PERMITTED TO STAY AT THE ALTAR excepting the consecrating ministers and the other ministers, deacon (who may incense at the showing of the species), and lector and acolytes (kneeling).
3.- IT’S MANDATORY TO SAY THE SYMBOL OF FAITH, SUNDAYS AND SOLEMNITIES. It is sung by the priest together with the people. At the words by the power of the Holy Spirit
he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man
, all bow and on the Annunciation and Nativity of the Lord, all genuflect.

Hope I have helped you.

If a validly-ordained priest has ordinary bread and wine and says “This is my body, this is … my blood” over them with the proper intent, this is a valid Eucharist. All the other trappings are required for a licit Mass, but validity really only depends on the bare bones.

Look on your diocese’s web page you should find a list of parishes there …if the one you are attending is not listed find a parish that is …easy enough

Yes this. Just make sure the church you are attending is one of the ones listed in your diocese. :thumbsup:

any time one has a question about Mass, it is always best to start with the priest and go from there.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.