Was it possible for Jesus to sin?

The mideval tradition tells us that there are some things that God cannot do. For example, he cannot make a square circle (he is bound by the principle of non-contradiction) and he cannot sin. Good enough. But, what about Jesus? Was it possible for him to sin? The fathers tell us that he had two natures - divine and human. We know that it was impossible for his divine nature to sin but, could He, as a human being, have chosen that which was contrary to His Father’s will?

I ask this question because in scripture, it often seems that Jesus speaks and acts at times from His human nature ( when he proclaims in the Garden, “not my will but Your’s be done” or when he weeps at the death of Lazarus) and at other times from His divine nature ( when he proclaims, “the Father and I are one” or when he calms the storm on the Sea of Galilee). Considering this discrepancy, it would appear that because of His human nature, it was, at times, theoretically possible for Jesus to have sinned. Am I reasoning correctly on this point? Please advise!

We know from Scripture that Jesus never sinned:
"For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15).

The definition of sin and the definition of God make it impossible for Jesus to sin. Sin is an offense against God, and God is the perfection of goodness and holiness. Jesus is fully God and fully man. As God, then, he is perfectly good and holy. As man, although he has a human will, he never stops also being God. So his will is always aligned with the will of God the Father.
Now if this seems impossible, consider this analogy. A husband loves his wife and she loves him. Although he has free will, he cannot cheat on his wife because he could not bear to hurt her and his love so intense for her that she is the only object of his affection. He just could not do it, even though, technically, he could since he has free will.

If it could work that way for an ordinary man, how much more so can this be for Jesus, who is God and also perfected in love?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.