Was it sinful to eat meat?

I knew we were supposed to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and planned to do so. But when I stopped at a fast food place for a sandwich, I forgot and just ordered an item with meat in it (I usually order the same thing all the time for a breakfast sandwich, so I just automatically ordered what I usually get). The fact that I just got something with meat in it didn’t occur to me until I had the sandwich in the bag to go and was unlocking my car door. So I ate it because I didn’t want to waste the food by throwing it out and I was on my way somewhere so no place to save it until the next day. Was it sinful for me to eat the meat sandwich when I realized what I had bought, even though I had forgotten when I placed the order?

These links should explain when eating meat on days of absitnence needs to be confessed. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Are Lenten fumbles mortal sins?

Was it right to substitute turkey for tuna on Ash Wednesday?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.