Was it wrong of my priest to do this?

I have not gone to confession in, I suppose, four years.
I went to a parochial school, and all kids were scheduled to go to confession. My mother informed the school, and I’m sure they already knew, that I was not baptized, and I was given approval for a confession.

So I received confession.

Is that acceptable in the Catholic Church?

Yes, any person can go to confession to confess sins. Your religion is irrelevant. You just can’t share in the Eucharist without proper formation.

They allowed me to share in the eucharist.
In every instance where class went to church and shared in the eucharist, I did as well.
In both his blood and body.

If you aren’t baptised and haven’t received the form for Eucharist then you should not partake. Even if you have to get in line when you get to the priest or minister simply refuse the host.

Do you want to become Catholic? If so, begin by talking to your priest!

But no, you should not receive the Eucharist. Here’s what you can do (to complement the above post):
if you find yourself in line for whatever reason, make sure to cross into the line where the priest is, and cross your arms (left hand right shoulder, and vice versa). This sign indicates you are not receiving but wish for a blessing, which the priest can give.

No, an unbaptized person should not receive the Eucharist and cannot actually receive the Sacrament of Penance. Christian Baptism is the gateway for all the other sacraments.

Is there some reason that you were not baptized? Are you now baptized?

If your Priest allows blessings at the Masses for the school children, you can get in the line, cross your arms over your chest and the Priest will give you a blessing instead of the Eucharist. Do not go to the Cup/Chalice for a blessing, but simply bow slightly as you pass the Chalice Minister, again with your arms across your chest to indicate you are not receiving. Since you are in Parochial School with your Mother’s approval, ask your Mother and your Priest if you can be baptized. I’m sure you receive a religious education class at the school, or they are certainly available. Then you can make your (official) First Confession and First Communion with your class. If you are young enough, you can receive First Communion with your class, usually held in May. If in a class where all the others have already received First Communion, you can be Baptized and receive your First Communion at Mass on a Sunday (or Saturday Vigil Mass). You should not receive the Eucharist (Communion) until you are baptized Catholic. The Priest may not want to refuse you in the Communion line with the other students, or he may not realize that you are not yet Baptized. if you were Baptized in another church (Protestant, for instance), the Priest can receive you into the Catholic Faith with a Profession of Faith only, then you can properly receive First Communion.

I think anyone, baptized or not, can go to Confession, but cannot receive the Absolution. I’ve known a number of Protestants who go into the Confessional for private advice from a Priest, as they are very uncomfortable going to the Office or Rectory for a private consultation. They do not receive Absolution, only advice and a prayer. The majority are Baptized, but I did see a person of an Asian faith go to the Confessional for some advice, and only told me he needed some private advice. About two years later, he did convert to Catholicism.

Unless one is formerly initiated into the Church, They cannot participate in the sacraments. You would be baptized receive first communion then go to your first confession.

As I understand you didn’t follow this order which means you weren’t officially Catholic, Though you may have shared the same beliefs. As my priest informed me he would welcome anyone into the confessional though the actual sacrament of confession is for Catholics only. Non-Catholics should be welcome to talk confess their sins, they cannot actually be absolved by the Priest. The seal of the confessional would not apply because its not actually participating in the sacrament.

By the way you worded your question I assume the priest went through confession with you as he did with everyone else. Is it wrong? Well he probably didn’t know you hadn’t been baptized. But he shouldn’t go through the motions of the sacrament of confession if he knew.

Since your “header” shows you as “Catholic” I am assuming you are now a Catholic and Baptized. If so, yes, you can and should participate in both Sacramental Confession and Communion. It is possible the Priest did not know you were not Catholic at the time you went to Confession with the other students and probably did give you Absolution as well. You did not sin, since the School made the appointments for ALL the students, and you were apparently not told to tell the Priest you hadn’t been Baptized at that time.

I have two questions here for other posters as well on this thread. First: Why would the Seal of the Confessional not apply?? I did not think the Seal was connected to the Absolution. If a Priest refused Absolution to a Catholic due to lack of contrition, I don’t think he could then come out of the Confessional and tell everyone what was confessed!

Second: One poster said you are 1) Baptized 2) Receive Communion and then 3) Make your First Confession. When I was in Parochial School, and had been Baptized into the Church, we went to our First Confession PRIOR to our First Communion. Has the Church reversed this order???

Want to know what is correct, since I work with non-religious persons inquiring into the Catholic Faith, have been Baptized (most of them) into another church, and I certainly don’t want to tell them something wrong! None are yet at the point of wanting to go to RCIA, but are, at this point, just interested and questioning.

Article on the subject from Jimmy Akin here.

He doesn’t address a non-Catholic meeting with a Priest outside of a grave situation which can be permitted. Simply meeting with a Priest and getting spiritual advice is not receiving the sacrament.

Better to become Catholic and receive all the Sacraments that Christ gave us.

PnP

Judy, About the seal of the confessional, That’s just what I remember being taught. I will let you know if I find anything more convincing.

As for the order of the sacraments of initiation I asked my pastor about this last Sunday. Baptism is always first. Reconciliation and first communion would probably depend on when they are happening. For example in the ordinary case you would be baptized as an infant. Then later receive reconciliation and communion respectively. It is in this order because If first communion is in second grade or whatever year it is in school. You would have had plenty of time since your baptism as an infant to sin.

Alternatively if you were an adult convert to the faith you would probably be baptized and receive communion in the same mass. This is okay because baptism washes you of all sin. You would then go to confession later as it became necessary

Please let me know what you think…

Yours seems to be the correct intuition. Let’s think about it in a different example: what if you, as a Catholic, went to confession, but the priest didn’t think that you were truly contrite, so he withheld absolution. Would this mean, then, that since absolution wasn’t given, the priest could talk about what he learned about you in the confessional? Of course not! So, I would assert that the seal proceeds from the sacrament itself, not from any particular absolution

I think that what I was referring to would be a case of someone baptized (validly, by form) in another Church, who then converts to Catholic. I think that after (or prior?) to the Profession of Faith made, they would need to go to the Confessional prior to their First Communion in the Catholic faith, since it had obviously been some years since Baptism, and they would need any sins confessed prior to Communion. As for Reconciliation, I think it would normally precede Communion for even children, since they were baptized as infants or young children. My departed DH made his Confession prior to Communion when he converted to Catholic. In fact, prior to his Profession of Faith, since he had been baptized over 40 years previously. He was 65 when he converted, but had wished to become Catholic since the age of 9 or 10, and was unable to obtain permission from his parents (particularly his mother), and he had first been married to a Protestant for 38 years prior to her death, and she did not wish to become Catholic. After her death, and our marriage, he promptly converted. I do feel, however, that any baptized person who goes to Confession even for advice and help from a Priest, although not able to receive a sacramental Absolution, could still rely upon the Seal of the Confessional from the Priest. I think all Priests take very seriously anything said in the Confessional to be “Sealed” from being revealed by them. Whether the person in the Confessional is Catholic or not.
However, you are correct that if an adult or older child is Baptized in the Church, they could immediately receive Communion without Reconciliation first, since the Baptism would remove all sin from the past.

Correct; it would happen prior to reception into full communion with the Church, in a celebration of the Sacrament of Reconcilation separate from the Rite of Reception. See the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, #482.

Thanks, I’d forgotten the specification. I used to be an RCIA teacher, but that was about 17 years ago.

I like it!

I am looking at your other posts and now you are claiming to be non-Catholic in a Catholic school receiving communion and confession. Your other thread which was closed was claiming that some renegade priest is selling first class relics, Your other posts are obviously as an adult. I am not sure who you are but if you are coming on here as a troll, I really pity you, you have been reported.

I’m finding the same thing on the threads, robwar, and I suspect we are, indeed, dealing with a troll. However, it did lead to an educational dialogue for the rest of us. Hopefully this is not a troll just stirring things up, but if so, I echo you – pity them!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.