Was Jesus Testing This Person's Faith?

"17 As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ 18 Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. 19 You know the commandments: “You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honour your father and mother.”’ 20 He said to him, ‘Teacher, I have kept all these since my youth.’ (Mark 10:17-20)

Jesus' question and statement of "Why do you call me good ? No one is good but God alone." seems to be implying something similar to the following question from Jesus to Peter:
"15 **He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” **16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 16:15-17)

Which makes me wonder if Jesus was wanting the first person to come to the same conclusion Peter did. :)**

It would seem Jesus wanted the man to think He was more than a good teacher.

I agree. Jesus had such a good way of letting people come around to Truth on their own terms

[quote="Suslar, post:3, topic:322197"]
I agree. Jesus had such a good way of letting people come around to Truth on their own terms

[/quote]

That's awesome. :)

First...it was not the custom to call a Teacher/Master (Rabbi) "good"...it was somewhat insulting...as if he...a Teacher/Master (Rabbi) could be "bad."

Second, most importantly Christ is getting him to focus on*...from whom/from where all good things...all good gifts come from...from God himself...from above...*meaning if Jesus is truly good...he must come from above...from God...sent by God...he is giving a hint of his Divine Nature (as many commentaries say).

Lastly...a bible verse (two translations)...and the ending of two of our Eucharistic Prayers in Mass...we profess that all good comes from God...if we have the slightest bit of good in us... the slightest bit of truth in us...it all...every "speck"... comes from God...so...we should not be breaking our arms...patting ourselves on the back...we have simply cooperated with God's (sanctifying and actual) graces...which are a sharing in His Divine Nature...the greatest gift...making us part of the life of the Trinity.

Pax Christi

James 1:17
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSV-CE)

17 Every good endowment and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.[a]

James 1:17
King James Version (KJV)

17** Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights**, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Eucharistic Prayer I (The Roman Canon)
Through whom** you continue to make all these good things**, O Lord; you sanctify them, fill them with life, bless them, and bestow them upon us.

Eucharistic Prayer III
For seeing you, our God, as you are, we shall be like you for all the ages and praise you without end, through Christ our Lord, through whom you bestow in the world all that is good.

[quote="SpeakKindly, post:1, topic:322197"]
"17 As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ 18 Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. 19 You know the commandments: “You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; You shall not defraud; Honour your father and mother.”’ 20 He said to him, ‘Teacher, I have kept all these since my youth.’ (Mark 10:17-20)

Jesus' question and statement of "Why do you call me good ? No one is good but God alone." seems to be implying something similar to the following question from Jesus to Peter:
"15 **He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” **16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 16:15-17)

Which makes me wonder if Jesus was wanting the first person to come to the same conclusion Peter did. :)**

This is an great example of why I'm a Christian and not agnostic. A friend of mine (who is agnostic, but I'm working on it) asked me why I believe in Christianity, even though I struggle with most organized religions. I explained that Jesus had a daring new message - telling people to turn the other cheek rather than supporting the old 'eye for an eye' teaching of the Jewish faith. I question many organized religions because I tend to find contradiction and/or self-serving motives endemic in many churches. Not only did Christ spread this new message without motives or personal gain, he did it at great personal cost.

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.