Was John the Baptist born without original sin?

The gospel states that when Mary visited Elizabeth, when she was carrying our Lord in her Womb, that Elizabeth's baby leapt in her womb and he was sanctified in the womb. To be sanctified is to be full of grace and to be full of grace is to be free of sin. So, while he had original sin when he was conceived, like the rest of us, original sin was removed when he was sanctified while still in Elizabeth's womb. Am I understanding this correctly? I have seen it thus explained in several secondary sources. I don't really know how to go about finding a primary source that explains this, like St. Augustine. I've asked a couple of priests but they had never heard this explanation before, although one said that it sounded well thought out (by the source materials) and reasonable. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or better yet, can anyone direct me to some sources which support or disclaim this premise.

The following link should help you better understand the Church's position on John the Baptist. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

John the Baptist without personal sin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.