Was John the Baptist greater than Mary?

I came across a challange a protestant made to me asking a question I coudn’t answer. His approach was to say that the Bible tells us that Mary wasn’t better then any other human being, since the Holy Scripture says that from those born from women there was no one greater then John the Baptist (Mt 11:11-12). How can I answer this question correctly and defend the catholic doctrine regarding the uniqueness of Saint Mary ?

Well, let’s look at what Jesus actually said:

Amen, I say to you, among those born of women there has been none greater than John the Baptist; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
(Matthew 11:11)

Jesus was born of a woman (Mary), if your Protestant friend is to take this verse literally then he must also assume that John the Baptist is greater than Jesus.

In the 1st century rabbis and others would make absolutist or over the top statements in order to make a larger point. Jesus does this often in the Gospels. In this case Jesus’ point is that everything John the Baptist preached about is fulfilled in Jesus and as great as John the Baptist was, what Jesus is bringing (the kingdom of heaven) is greater.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.