Was Judas Chosen by Jesus?

Recently delved into John chapter 13 and am wondering based on verses 26-27 (NAB):

26* Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I hand the morsel after I have dipped it.” So he dipped the morsel and [took it and] handed it to Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot.*
27 After he took the morsel, Satan entered him. So Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.”

Satan entered after Jesus handed the morsel to him. So, before this moment, Judas was still of faith with Christ?

I could use some help here as well.

JESUS needed the *act *of Judas, HE must have also needed (for HIS EARTHLY PURPOSES) a betrayer.

It should not be lost on those partaking of scripture the symbolism in JESUS’ also [FIRST] giving Judas the substance (substances) of what JESUS some short while later gives to his Apostles (after his own consecration) as HIS BODY AND BLOOD.

Although, Judas, so received without such invocation (or perhaps with a separate and silent one?), is allowed, or allows himself, to be given-over.

[Very Selfishly, for myself, but as well for all peoples] I pray that JESUS is satisfied with such symbols, and has no further need of such examples.

*Luke 6:13 And when it was day, he called his disciples, and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles.

John 15:16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. *That help with the “chosen” part?

ummmm…no, i know he chose his disciples but…
Did Jesus choose Judas to become the betrayer for the sake of the crucifixion?
i know Jesus knew the future and what was coming, but i always thought Judas betrayed him on his own but the scripture from John says that Satan entered him after he was given the morsel.

In the culture of the time, it was considered a great honor for the host to directly feed a bite of the meal to a guest. It was only allowed for the host to choose one guest to receive this hospitality.

Judas had already agreed to betray Jesus to the Sanhedrin (that was recorded in the synoptics). He was only looking for an opportune time. When Jesus so directly showed His great love for Judas, it was more than he could bear. Judas chose to get it over with rather than wait any longer.

The morsel had its effect in that Judas later repented of the betrayal itself (when he threw the money at the feet of the priests who had condemned Jesus). However, he was despairing at that time and then took his life so it does not look good for his final destination.

Scripture does not say that Jesus picked Judas to commit a sin to hand him over, to betray Him. Jesus would not have chosen anyone to sin.

To say that Jesus chose Judas to sin so that He would be crucified and rise from the dead would be to say that Jesus chose not to love Judas. Jesus was and is pure love.

Jesus did not stop Judas from his action. He did not take away Judas’s free will to either “make” Judas betray Him or to stop Judas from betraying Him.

OK, I have followed all the previous discussion and I agree with the opinions expresssed, but what would’ve happened HAD Judas, decided NOT to betray Jesus?? How would’ve salvation history played out??

I know there are probably no answers…but it does raise a difficult question. I suppose one effect this is supposed to have on us, is how we should always “think” before we “act” using our free will!

The religious leaders in Jerusalem had long before decided to have Jesus put to death. It was only a matter of time before they found an opportunity.

Note tha,t while it is likely that Judas met a bad end, he had the opportunity to be one of the greatest saints. Suppose he had come and flung himself down before Jesus at the foot of the cross and asked forgiveness. He would have been the patron saint of all repentant sinners.

His greatest sin was not the betrayal, but the despair that led to his suicide.

John 6: 63“It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. 64“But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him. 65And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.