Was Judas Iscariot a Bishop?

I guess this is one of those alternate history questions.

Let’s assume everything up to the crucifixion takes place as it does in real life. However, instead of hanging himself, Judas simply runs away. Since he is technically an apostle, would he be a valid Bishop and would bishops created by him be valid?

Then the prophecies on Judas would be wrong, so God would have been mistaken?

1 Like

Yes. He was an apostle, one of the Twelve. Under Jesus’ authority, he healed the sick and cast out demons. I suppose his appointment of bishops might be illicit, but I see no reason to suppose it would be invalid.

He would have been an apostle not just technically but in fact. If he had not despaired and killed himself, he could have received God’s mercy and forgiveness, and could have been a part of the Church.

8 Likes

I need scriptural evidence that he did such things. Even though, he could, after the Last Supper, when Christ presented the Church and the New Law. But he chose to do other things.

That would have been an interesting test of the apostles indeed to see if they could have forgiven Judas.

2 Likes

Jesus himself, after the resurrection, would have forgiven Judas just as he forgave Peter and Thomas.

5 Likes

Read Mark chapter 6. Jesus sent the Twelve (including Judas) on a mission in His name. They healed the sick and cast out demons in Jesus’ name.

Judas was an actual Apostle. This, he had authority to do whatever they did.

5 Likes

Need proof that he himself did it, not just the group. When a group is measured, one member slacking is hidden in the result if the majority gets a winning score.

1 Like

Scripture has it that Jesus gave those powers to the twelve. In those passages, Judas is named among the twelve.

None of the twelve healed the sick or cast out demons by their own power or by their own merit. Just as a priest who is not in a state of grace may perform the sacraments with full efficacy, the apostles, imperfect as they were, had their miraculous powers through Jesus.

1 Like

I still need a quote when he himself actually did what he could do with Christ’s authority. Because Judas also received the Eucharist and then he berayed Christ. In this instance the redempting role of the Eucharist is challenged. You may receive it and still betray Christ.

It’s right there in the text. They went out in pairs and healed the sick. There’s nothing in there about Jesus grading a group project on a curve; the Twelve were sent, and the Twelve did what Jesus told them to do. Peter even acknowledged Judas, saying “He was one of our number and shared in our ministry.” And Matthias was chosen to take over Judas’ ministry. There’s nothing to support your theory that Judas was assigned a ministry but faked his way through it; Matthias took over a ministry, not a sham.

6 Likes

Matthias did not replace a traitor. He could have become a bishop from any of the other 11 Apostles, like Titus did. Matthias never got Apostles’ succesion from Judas because Judas was dead when Matthias stepped in.

Oh no doubt. But the apostles were human. It would have been a test for them, one I’m inclined to believe they’d pass, but I can’t imagine the turmoil they’d have felt.

2 Likes

Apostolic succession of the bishops originated in the apostles, so yes, Judas would have been able to validly make somebody a bishop if he did not take his own life.

The priesthood is not based on whether somebody is virtuous or not virtuous. Like all of the sacraments, it is a gift.

You need to read Acts. That’s exactly what he did. Matthias took over Judas’ ministry. “And his bishopric let another take.“ Judas’ office as Apostle was vacant; Matthias filled it.

2 Likes

Would Judas ever have gained forgiveness? I mean he betrayed Jesus leading to jesus being arrested and crucified and then he committed a mortal sin through committing suicide.

I’m just curious, Im still learning.

1 Like

Judas’ office was vacant because of Judas’s death, or his treason and thus default Excommunication, or his unworthy of performing his tasks as bishop (such as exercising his chatisma for good)? We need clarifications in order to draw a conclusion. Possible the Saint Apostles left it vague so it may be an ever hovering axe for bishops to follow them, should they think their office might excuse them in the day of their Judgement.

I’m going to say no since he didn’t hang around for Pentecost.

If he’s asked for it, yes, God forgives all sin of those who repent and ask forgiveness.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.