Was Mary God's second choice?

I was speaking with a Jehovah’s Witness the other day and he told me that there were other women God was considering besides Mary for bearing Jesus. He didn’t elaborate. Does anyone know anything about this?

Subrosa

Put the burden of proof on your friend – where did he get this information?

If you believe in an all-knowing God, it just doesn’t make sense.

I’ve never heard of this specific allegation and I try to stay pretty hip of all the the JW shenanigans. It certainly has no scriptural proof. Anything to discredit the BVM, it seems.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. God is all-knowing and all-powerful. I imagine He knew exactly whom He wanted to be the Mother of his Son, and made sure she was given the necessary graces for the role.

Balderdash and poppycock.

God is eternal and unchanging. Implying that God set up more than one “choice” denies His eternal unchanging nature and casts sinful doubt on God’s omnipotence and omniscience.

God created Mary in order to bear his son. That is why she was created free from sin. Jesus’ first saving grace.

If he was considering another women, then Mary wouldn’t have been created in the Immaculate Conception at all.
God doesn’t need to consider anything. He knows all before time.

Mary is sometimes called the “new Eve”. While your Jehovah Witness friend probably wasn’t refering to that, I do believe that the first woman created perfectly by God, Eve, was God’s first choice to be our mother. I don’t think God created the world intending us to fall into sin, (although I believe He knew it would.) But as Eve and Adam fell, bringing sin into God’s perfectly created world, God promised a savior. If your friend was implying that some other woman was really God’s first choice to bring the world that savior, I think that’s wrong. If your friend meant to imply that God created Eve perfect at the dawn of creation, and that Mary is the New Eve, I think he’s right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.