Was Mary Immortal

So i was wondering about this question and I’m probably misunderstanding this so i hope somoene can correct me on this but Mary preseverd from sin at her conception and did never sin in her life. and there is this theological discusion about if she died a natural death or not before she was assumed into heaven . and knowing that sin causes death and since she was without sin and acording to the non mortalist position she chose to "die " rather than she had to die does this mean she was basicly imortal

Once created, your soul, my soul, will never die. While our physical bodies will likely experience physical death, for the Christian we rejoice that is only a temporary thing.

ow so her physical body was mortal ok thank you for the awser i must have mis interpreted it
just a little question am I a heretic because i had that tought ?

Why would a question make someone a heretic?

Of course not, questions are good!

I don’t think the church has an official position on the matter. We don’t hold whether or not she died before her assumption. The main reason for this, to my understanding is the very point you raise.

thanks mate i tried and find an awser on this but coulnd find an satisfing awnser now i know why thanks

Pope Pius XII’s Apostolic Constitution: ‘Hence the revered Mother of God, from all eternity joined in a hidden way with Jesus Christ in one and the same decree of predestination, immaculate in her conception, a most perfect virgin in her divine motherhood, the noble associate of the divine Redeemer who has won a complete triumph over sin and its consequences, finally obtained, as the supreme culmination of her privileges, that she should be preserved free from the corruption of the tomb and that, like her own Son, having overcome death, she might be taken up body and soul to the glory of heaven where, as Queen, she sits in splendor at the right hand of her Son, the immortal King of the Ages.’

Mary was human like all humans and died a normal human death, her soul is immortal and in her present state she has achieved eternal life in heaven.

It’s simple. Mary is an ordinary human being of extraordinary holiness.
We are free to believe she physically died or didn’t because it hasn’t been formally defined by the Church. The last few Popes say she died and they know more than I do.

aa%20wings

Are we inmortal after baptism? There’s probably a range of opinion on this, but I suspect she was not, that God preserved her from sin but did not complete her glorification, just like ours isn’t complete at baptism.

Why would a person who is sinless die? Her Assumption makes that clear. Many think Jesus gave her a choice. She chose to die to be more united to her son. IMO

I often think that while Mary (and Jesus) did not have original sin, they definitely suffered in life. We know Jesus experienced immense torment when He was crucified, and Mary suffered by witnessing it. Jesus died, and he is God!

For me, it doesn’t really matter if Mary physically died or not. I believe she was assumed into Heaven and intercedes for us.

The sinful person lives as if immortality were a very birthright, as if only today matters and death will never come. Even in the grasp of middle age, the bold sinner fails to ponder his path or behold that he has now, perhaps at best, only as many years ahead as already lay behind.

But the sinless life of Mary gives us a unique perspective on mortality. Unlike many people who believe themselves to be immortal until a certain age, she was so intimately connected to the Paschal Mystery of Christ that she was preserved not only from sin and lasting bodily mortality, but from all reckless abandon that comes with youthful ignorance.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.