Was Mary questioned?

Did anyone ever question Mary when she said she was a virgin? Did she actually state she was a virgin? wasn’t there disbelief?? How did Joeseph handle this??

I don’t question her meself. I’m just curious. Surely she had some trouble from others on the matter don’t you think?

As this thread deals with historical controversy, it was moved to Apologetics.

Anna’s Mom-

Did anyone ever question Mary when she said she was a virgin? Did she actually state she was a virgin? wasn’t there disbelief??

She probably didnt tell anyone.

How did Joeseph handle this??

An angel came to him and told him the news

[quote=Anna’s Mom]Did anyone ever question Mary when she said she was a virgin? Did she actually state she was a virgin? wasn’t there disbelief?? How did Joeseph handle this??

I don’t question her meself. I’m just curious. Surely she had some trouble from others on the matter don’t you think?
[/quote]

she did state she was a virgin… “how can this be, since** i know not a man**”…

and yes the angel told Joseph…

as for trouble from others… i’m sure there would have been… you
remember when she went to the hill country of Judea… you think
maybe that was to hide? just as the original ark of the covenant
was hidden in the hill country of Judea in the days of King David?

just as in Revelation it says that the woman hid in the place
prepared in the desert…

thank God that she said yes, and thank God that Joseph
accepted…

:slight_smile:

[quote=Anna’s Mom]Did anyone ever question Mary when she said she was a virgin? Did she actually state she was a virgin? wasn’t there disbelief?? How did Joeseph handle this??

[/quote]

As johnshelby pointed out, Mary said that she knew not man, which for me at least, proves that the Conception of Mary surely was Immaculate.

It troubled Joseph, until an Angel told him in a dream not to be afraid to take Mary as his wife.

Matthew 1:19 Whereupon Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing publicly to expose her, was minded to put her away privately. 20 But while he thought on these things, behold the angel of the Lord appeared to him in his sleep, saying: Joseph, son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife, for that which is conceived in her, is of the Holy Ghost.

No one else would have been concerned; Mary and Joseph were, after all, married, at the time of Jesus’ birth.

[quote=Eireann]As johnshelby pointed out, Mary said that she knew not man, which for me at least, proves that the Conception of Mary surely was Immaculate.

[/quote]

this discussion does not directly relate to the Immaculate Conception, which is the doctrine that Mary was conceived in the womb of her mother without original sin, and was therefore free from the consequences of original sin, such as concupiscence, and remained free from actual sin throughout her life.

Her question to the angel “how can this be since I do not know man?” both attested to her virginity and to her acknowledgement and assent to the miraculous conception of Jesus in her whom through the power of the Holy Spriit.

[quote=JimG]No one else would have been concerned; Mary and Joseph were, after all, married, at the time of Jesus’ birth.
[/quote]

I doubt this. I think many considered Jesus of illegitimate birth. In fact, if you look at Mark 6:3, you notice that his accusers name him as the “son of Mary.” Why didn’t they say son of Joseph? It would have made more sense in their culture to name the Father. They named Mary because they didn’t know who the Father was. This phrase, “son of Mary,” was meant as an insult.

It’s not hard to tell why they thought this. Joseph gets married and 4-5 months later a Baby is present. The math isn’t too hard to figure out. Of course, nobody could have guessed what had really happened.

[quote=puzzleannie]this discussion does not directly relate to the Immaculate Conception, which is the doctrine that Mary was conceived in the womb of her mother without original sin, and was therefore free from the consequences of original sin, such as concupiscence, and remained free from actual sin throughout her life.

Her question to the angel “how can this be since I do not know man?” both attested to her virginity and to her acknowledgement and assent to the miraculous conception of Jesus in her whom through the power of the Holy Spriit.
[/quote]

Yes thanks for clarifying, meant it to mean that Jesus came by the power of the Holy Spirit and not man.

Didn’t God call on a man (Joseph) for the specific reason of being there to give the appearance that Jesus had an earthly father in order to protect him? And the man He chose for the job was Joseph so that the prophecy of the “Son of David” could be fullfilled.

Or am I off my rocker?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.