Was Mary really free from Original Sin?

Mary was saved from original sin at the moment of her conception and preserved in grace by God so that she did not fall into any mortal sins (any sins at all, actually). Living and dying in grace is what salvation is all about.

THAT my friend is Protestant “logical” self -needed justification.

Mary proclaims this KNOWING that God had Blessed her:

Lk 1:28 " [28] And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women."

Lk 1: 46-50 "[46] And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord. [47] And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. [48] Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. [49] Because he that is mighty, hath done great things to me; and holy is his name. [50] And his mercy is from generation unto generations, to them that fear him

Mary was aware the of absolute UNIQUENESS OF HER EXCLUSIVE CALL to BE the Mother of Our GOD. And She was giving Thanks to God for trusting in her. IT WAS AFTER ALL, God THAT CHOOSE TO HAVE MARY CONCEIVED WITHOUT ORIGINAL SIN; an act possible for GOD, but not for Mary or her parents. Mary was the precipitant of a GIFT unknown and requested by HER. So our Protestant friend is questioning GOD’s RIGHT to Be GOD: not Mary’s humility in giving THANKS to Her God too!

Easter Blessings,
Patrick

I love this!! Thank you!!

Jesus saved Mary from sin BEFORE her conception in her Mother’s womb. God can work through time in a way we don’t understand.

OK here goes an explanation:

Yes she was free from original sin.
The early Protestant leaders believed it too.

And technically, Adam and Eve were created without original sin.
They committed the original sin some time after their creation.

Be careful… what we inherit, which is referred to as “original sin”, is distinct from the “first sin personally committed by our first human parents.” :wink:

Would love explanation because I do not want to spread a heresy.
Weren’t Adam and Eve created sinless but didn’t stay that way?
Thanks!
Peace!
:slightly_smiling_face:

What about “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God”? (Rom. 3.23)
Wouldn’t this apply to Mary, as part of the “all”?

Here’s a link to an old post on this:

Not to butt in, but original sin is a stain of our good nature that is inherited from Adam’s personal sin committed; " it is a sin “contracted” and not “committed” - a state and not an act."

@AugustTherese did a good job of explaining what I was getting at. The Catechism explains it, too, beginning at paragraph 396, but especially in paragraph 404 and following.

Adam and Eve were created without sin. They also were given certain ‘preternatural gifts’. But, they chose to misuse their free will, and committed the first sin. This had a number of effects: loss of the preternatural gifts, the entrance of sin and death into the world, and the transmission of a state of a fallen nature to their descendants.

This final one is what we label ‘original sin’.

Does that help?

@MeInMississippi

Why did Jesus need baptism? was He a sinner like you and me, not at all, by no means! it is because for the sack of saving us, he had agreed to it

_eg Matthew 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. 14 John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented.

Like wise Mother Mary is the Mother of God,She called My Savior for the sack of us,on behalf of all humans, because right from Jesus birth many rejected Him ,he had no place to be born ,not no place to lay his head as said in the Gospels,She was united with Jesus in Spirit as in 1 Corinthians 6:17 But anyone united to the Lord becomes one spirit with him and stood at the cross till the end.Mary id the daughter of the Heavenly Father ,The Mother of Jesus and the Spouse of the God the Holy Spirit, God is holy why will Jesus be born by a sinner? Most protestants are blinded regarding Mother Mary because in their pride and hatred towards Her are ignorant,of the facts but few genius Christians who are humble and contrite of heart really seek the truth and come to the knowledge who She really his Revelation 21:27 But nothing unclean will enter it, nor anyone who practices abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Isaiah 57:15 For thus says the high and lofty one who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
I dwell in the high and holy place,and also with those who are contrite and humble in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the humble,and to revive the heart of the contrite. which Mother Mary say in her humility LK 1:46-55

Romans 3:23 since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God;That is why God Blessed Mother Mary with Full of Grace and all all Her merits are because of Jesus that is why God had to creat a new being on earth the new Eve Mother mary
Jeremiah 31:22 How long will you waver,O faithless daughter(Eve /humans )?For the Lord has created a new thing on the earth:a woman(Mother Mary) encompasses a man(Jesus).

Song of Solomon 4:7 You are altogether beautiful, my love;there is no flaw (sin )in you.(Mother Mary)

Song of Solomon 5:I slept, but my heart was awake.Listen! my beloved is knocking.“Open to me, my sister, my love,my dove, my perfect one(Mother Mary);for my head is wet with dew,my locks with the drops of the night.

”Song of Solomon 6:4 ,9 You are beautiful as Tirzah, my love,comely as Jerusalem,terrible as an army with banners(against satan crushed in Gen 3:15).My dove, my perfect one(Holy), is the only one,the darling of her mother, flawless(sinless) to her that bore her.The maidens saw her and called her happy;the queens and concubines also, and they praised her.

Revelation 11:19 Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple; and there were flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake, and heavy hail.

**Revelation 12:1 A great portent appeared in heaven: a woman(Mary) clothed with the sun(Son of Justice, Jesus the Divine Judge), with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars(Glory ,also ref to 12 Apostles 12 Tribes of Israel). 2 She was pregnant (with Jesus )and was crying out in birth pangs, in the agony of giving birth. **

Revelation 12: 14 But the woman was given the two wings of the great eagle(Eagle ref to st John also the Catholic Church /Catholic ), so that she could fly from the serpent into the wilderness, to her place where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time. 15 Then from his mouth the serpent poured water(water also ref to Word of God John 4:14 that is why satan like wise Protestants use the Word of God against Mother Mary heresies) like a river after the woman, to sweep her away with the flood.16 But the earth(Catholics children of Mary other also who accept Her) came to the help of the woman; it opened its mouth and swallowed the river that the dragon had poured from his mouth. 17 Then the dragon was angry with the woman, and went off to make war on the rest of her children(Catholics children of Mary other also who accept Her), those who keep the commandments of God and hold the testimony of Jesus.

Don"t be deceived stick to the Catholic Faith God Bless 1 Peter 5:8 Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour.

“There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”

― Fulton J. Sheen

@sonofbarry

Well That is Why God created a new creation on Earth the New Eve( Mother Mary a sinless vessel )to bring forth the New Adam Jesus,as said in

Jeremiah 31:22 How long will you waver,O faithless daughter(Eve /humans )?For the Lord has created a new thing on the earth:a woman(Mother Mary) encompasses a man(Jesus).

No. Widen the context of your quote. “All” refers to “Jews and Greeks alike”. See verse 9.

What’s the context of the claim in v23? That “there is no distinction” (v22), between “those under the law” (v19), and “all who believe” “in Jesus Christ” (v22) – that is, respectively, Jews and Greeks.

The claim here is a corporate one, not a personal one – it’s “Jews and Greeks”, not individuals, that Paul is talking about.

She was free from sin only because God preserved her from sin. Such a thing would be impossible apart from God. God is still in every way her savior.

I heard or read somewhere that it wasn’t to change Him it was to change the water. In other words a new Sacrament. And immediately after the Heavens opened up and a voice said this is My Beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased.

@CajunJoy65

Yes your right the Sacrament of Baptism,as the Heavens where shut because of the sins of Adam/humans only during the baptism of Jesus it was opened, but i didn’t say anything about, that changed Him for it is said there is no change in Jesus in Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

But here am emphasizing that Jesus although being God didn’t need Bapitisim but he humbled Himself as said in Phil 2:1-8 he did it for the sack of us,another example in John 17:19 And for their sake I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth. here Jesus didn’t need sanctification He is already God and Holy.to explain further his human nature through sufferings obtained for us further more Graces and merits,since He love humans limitless ,has elevated the human nature to a greater glory since we are made in the image and likeness of God’s very nature compared to angles we where lower eg Psalms 8:5 What is man that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man that thou visitest him? 6 Thou hast made him a little less than the angels, thou hast crowned him with glory and honor:there where examples Compared to Mother Mary who was sinless but she called Jesus My Savior as She was preserver in the state of Grace she was a Mother ,a disciple, and for the sack of us she called my Savior

Am sorry couldn’t explain properly ,please correct me if am wrong. God Bless

Yes.

No, there are many exceptions to this. We don’t hold babies and children below the age of reason responsible for sin, or the developmentally disabled.

Paul is saying that both Jews and Gentiles have sinned, and that the Jews are no better off. In fact, if you read the psalm from which that was taken, he goes on to contrast them with the “righteous”.

Mary was created like Eve, free of sin, but she chose not to sin.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.