Was Mary the mediatrix and the savior?

Hi, I’m new here. This is my first post! anywho, I was reading somewhere that Mary is the co-mediator between God and man. Isn’t Jesus the only mediator? And I was also reading that Pope Benedict XV said that Mary, alongside Jesus redeemed the human race. Doesn’t this border on heresy? I don’t want to believe it, but I need some answers. HELP!?!

[quote=Curiouse]Hi, I’m new here. This is my first post! anywho, I was reading somewhere that Mary is the co-mediator between God and man. Isn’t Jesus the only mediator? And I was also reading that Pope Benedict XV said that Mary, alongside Jesus redeemed the human race. Doesn’t this border on heresy? I don’t want to believe it, but I need some answers. HELP!?!
[/quote]

Please provide your source that Mary is the savior. I think you have quoted an incorrect source or did not read it carefully.

Of course Mary is not the savior.

um, this really isn’t from cannon or anything, but from listening to cathlic radio and going to mass and all that, the way I understand it, is that we are all co-mediators. meaning that we can pray for eachother. like, when you are sick, do you ever ask your mom or a special friend to pray for you? I’ve got a friend who’s not a christian, but she always asks for my prayers because she says they “work”. I’ve got friends who seem to have a closer relationship to God than I do (maybe they really don’t, but I perceive it that way sometimes) anyway, I want that person praying for me. Now Mary, since she is the mother of Jesus, has special prayer power. I heard someone once say that she’s like a baker. she takes our prayers and mixes them up all nice and brings them to her Son. this is not biblical, just a way of bringing a concept down to our human understanding.

now your other thing, I can’t speak to what the Pope said. are you sure he didn’t say something like, “it was through the blessed mother that salvation came to the world.” meaning that Mary said “yes” to God and Jesus came through her. she is not the savior, but she helped bring Him to us. God could have used who/what ever He wanted, but He chose Mary and she said “yes”. that’s my best answer for you. I hope it helps a little.

[quote=Curiouse]Hi, I’m new here. This is my first post! anywho, I was reading somewhere that Mary is the co-mediator between God and man. Isn’t Jesus the only mediator? And I was also reading that Pope Benedict XV said that Mary, alongside Jesus redeemed the human race. Doesn’t this border on heresy? I don’t want to believe it, but I need some answers. HELP!?!
[/quote]

Jesus is the sole Mediator with the Father because only He is both God and man. But Mary is our mediatrix with Jesus, Who took His flesh from her.

It is true that she joined herself to His intentions and actions as far as it was possible, and can be said to be cooperating with Jesus in His role as Mediator and Redeemer, but it would have no value without Jesus, who provided for her to be able to do that. But it was of value because of her desire.

It is also true that God became man through her, and only did so upon her consent. Our salvation truly depended upon her at this point. It is like a mirror of the fact that our salvation truly depends upon our own cooperation with the grace of God. Salvation from God only happens with man’s consent. For ourselves it requires our own consent. For mankind it required Mary’s consent. For the consent to be worth anything, it requires God’s consent.

The statements are not heresy, but an expression of the unique role of Mary in our salvation.

hurst

I found the quote from Benedict XV on Wikipedia.

[/quote]

No, indeed. Mary isn’t a savior. She mediated salvation by carrying Jesus Christ into the world, and continues to offer prayers on our behalf. Mary took part in the redemptive plan, but is not herself our redeemer. That position belongs to Jesus alone.

Here are some references from the Catechism:

963 Since the Virgin Mary’s role in the mystery of Christ and the Spirit has been treated, it is fitting now to consider her place in the mystery of the Church. “The Virgin Mary . . . is acknowledged and honored as being truly the Mother of God and of the redeemer. . . . She is ‘clearly the mother of the members of Christ’ . . . since she has by her charity joined in bringing about the birth of believers in the Church, who are members of its head.” “Mary, Mother of Christ, Mother of the Church.”

970 “Mary’s function as mother of men in no way obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power. But the Blessed Virgin’s salutary influence on men . . . flows forth from the superabundance of the merits of Christ, rests on his mediation, depends entirely on it, and draws all its power from it.” “No creature could ever be counted along with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer; but just as the priesthood of Christ is shared in various ways both by his ministers and the faithful, and as the one goodness of God is radiated in different ways among his creatures, so also the unique mediation of the Redeemer does not exclude but rather gives rise to a manifold cooperation which is but a sharing in this one source.”

2674 Mary gave her consent in faith at the Annunciation and maintained it without hesitation at the foot of the Cross. Ever since, her motherhood has extended to the brothers and sisters of her Son “who still journey on earth surrounded by dangers and difficulties.” Jesus, the only mediator, is the way of our prayer; Mary, his mother and ours, is wholly transparent to him: she “shows the way” (hodigitria), and is herself “the Sign” of the way, according to the traditional iconography of East and West.

[quote=Curiouse]I found the quote from Benedict XV on Wikipedia.
[/quote]

Please post the exact quote so we can answer to exactly what he said. Thanks!

Mary acts as co-mediator in that Christ came through Mary. Christ is the sole mediator because it is His sacrifice that saves us(Mary included) from death and sin. Christ sacrificed Himself on the cross so that we could live. Mary prays for us and obtains grace for us. She does not act instead of Christ; she acts as a servant of Christ to bring His people to Him. I think hurst explains this on another thread with an analogy of a person who is thursty and needs water. Christ chooses to allow someone to give this person water rather than to give it directly to that person. It is similar with grace. Christ chooses to act through Mary and the saints. But it all comes from the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

[/quote]

wikipedia is not a Catholic source, it is not a reliable source on any topic under the sun. it is a user-generated web encyclopedia, anyone is free to post any article whatever, with no editorial guidance, no independent judge of the validity of what is posted there. Useless for the purposes of serious research. Do not ever use it as a source for academic research, you will be laughed off the stage.

redeemer and savior are not theologically interchangeable terms.

Jesus is the One Savior and the One Redeemer between God and Man.
As Baptized, we partake in Christ’s 3-fold office of Priest prophet and king.
That means that we can share in Christ’s sacrifice by offering our sacrifices in union to Christ’s sacrifice on the cross (priest).
We will share in his reign as king, and we share in spreading the gospel (Prophet).
As a co-redeemer, that only means that we share in a small way, in Christ’s unique sacrifice.

Mary shared in God’s work in a unique way in that her Yes to Gabriel allowed the work of salvation to happen by giving birth to Christ.
It is Mary’s “yes” that allowed the rest of the story to happen.
God chose Mary as a key player in the role of salvation history.
This is why she is said to act alongside Jesus. But this is done so in a secondary way in cooperation with God, not on the same level as.

[/quote]

It is sad to see so many people relying on Wikipedia as a source for anything. Wikipedia is nothing more than a compilation of peoples opinions on a subject stated as fact.

Benedict XVI NEVER said Mary was the Savior.

[/quote]

from wikipedia

What is Wikipedia?

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Edit-this-page-large.png Click edit this page to change an article

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia written collaboratively by many of its readers. Lots of people are constantly improving Wikipedia, making thousands of changes an hour, all of which are recorded on article histories and recent changes. Inappropriate changes are usually removed quickly.

How can I help?

Don’t be afraid to edit articlesanyone can edit, and we encourage you to be bold (but please don’t vandalise)! Find something that can be improved, either in content, grammar or formatting, and fix it.

You can’t break Wikipedia. Anything can be fixed or improved later. So go ahead, edit an article and help make Wikipedia the best information source on the Internet!

Could the article you read be accurate? Yes, if understood withing the context written. But since you have not linked to it, we really can’t say nor can we without knowing where wikipedia got it. Context is very important.

Try going here, reading and bringing back questions if you truly are curious and wish to understand.

Catholic Answers

God Bless,
Maria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.