Was Mary the mother of God present at the crucifixion?

I always assumed that Mary the mother of God was present when Christ was crucified. However I am a new Catholic and have been doing some reading to prepare for Good Friday and Easter. I have just read that Mary of Magdalene and Mary the mother of James and Joseph were the only “Marys” present. And since Mary the mother of God remained a virgin it follows that she is not Mary the mother of James and Joseph. Can someone please clarify?

John mentions that she was there:
25 So the soldiers did this. But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. (John 19:25-28)

Ok that is good to see. I just finished reading Mark and I think it only mentioned Mary of Magdalene and Mary mother of James.

Congratulations on finishing Mark. If you are looking for another Gospel John would be a great option.

:thumbsup:

I’ll second that and add Matthew and Luke to the list as well.

Hi, M!

Welcome Home! :extrahappy::extrahappy::extrahappy:

I don’t know if there’s an on-line concordance… but it would be good to get a Bible that includes concordance so that you can check the various passages that are related. Here’s the above passage:

• St. Mark 15:40-41
  • St. Matthew 27:55-56
  • St. Luke 23:49
  • St. John 19:25

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]Happy Easter!

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.