Was Mary truly ever Virgin?

Was Mary truly ever Virgin in that she and Joseph never shared a true marital relationship/ closeness? Was she the proto type of how Christ wanted Nuns to live their lives, meaning an ever chaste prayerful existence?

The Church says she remained a virgin all her life./ Protestants say that she did not.

The truth is pretty obvious don’t you agree?

Yes

Some Protestant groups accept Mary’s perpetual virginity. While I accept this as true, it’s quite unimportant in Christiology…IMHO.

Something te Church proclaims is unimportant?

I always understood the perpetual virginity of Mary as being important for Christology. Mostly because the early Church, in the struggle against the Arians, to refute their claims that Jesus was not God stressed the perpetual virginity of Mary and the ‘incorruptible’ nature of her womb. (St. Hippotlytus) The idea being that Mary’s womb being made sacred by the Incarnation was not later defiled by sex, the womb literally becomes the new Ark of the Covenant.

This stressing of Mary’s perpetual virginity has not great effect on our beliefs concerning Christ but it was used to defend our Lord’s Divinity. In the same way that Mary being proclaimed Theotokos was simply a round about way of defending Jesus’ Divinity, and to some extent His dual natures (stops you claiming that the divine nature simply overshadowed a human Jesus).

So I would say that a lot of the Marian dogmas, certainly our Lady’s perpetual virginity, her god-bearing and her immaculate conception are doctrines that are part of Christology in so much as Christology reveals them as truths and they in themselves then become a defense of the doctrines concerning Christ from which they came.

Actually, it’s NOT unimportant in Christology, as Her perpetual virginity is one of the proofs of Christ’s divinity. What purely “human” person was ever born of a perpetual virgin?

Really? If the Church is wrong about Mary how do I know they are not wrong about the ressurection?

Qui est veritas? - Pontius Luther.

Some who claim to love Christ must tear down God’s choice for the bearer of His Son. They must tear down Jesus’ choice to lead the church. All this to avoid unity in the one true church. Does that sound like love?

Christ’s peace.

How sappy, IMO. :slight_smile:

Good to see your sense of aqueous humor is still intact…

A question: Who to follow? The Apostles, chosen by Christ,

• or -

A rebel priest who broke the solemn vows he made before the Lord?

And yet it IS part of dogmatic faith that one MUST believe, as a Catholic for salvation.

Unity, not based on truth, is neither real unity or Love

You sound so shocked that Catholics are required to believe those things revealed to us by God. I mean, how dare God expect us to actually believe his revelation. :eek:

“He who rejects you, rejects me.” How much can one reject Christ and still be saved. That’s the real question, isn’t it?

[quote=po18guy]Good to see your sense of aqueous humor is still intact…

A question: Who to follow? The Apostles, chosen by Christ,

• or -

A rebel priest who broke the solemn vows he made before the Lord?
[/quote]

I don’t believe that God would hold a man to vows made to Him while the man is in a reprobate, unregenerate, unjustified, unsaved state, IMHO.

Therefore, I’m interested in what the redeemed Luther has to say concerning what the apostles taught, and I find that he is in agreement with Scripture, and the teachings therein—having read all sides, I’m fully inclined to the Luthers, and the Calvins who, chosen by Christ, now reside with their Lord in the heavenlies. :slight_smile:

Well said! Which of the denominations do you belong to? I’d like to know your theology. Your profile, for some reason, does not reveal it.

Christ’s peace.

I certainly believe His revelation, we have a more sure word. 2Pet

“He who rejects you, rejects me.” How much can one reject Christ and still be saved. That’s the real question, isn’t it?

No, the real question is how The Salvation spoken of by Peter in Acts 2:38 can be twisted to mean obedience to the Pope and mandatory belief in doctrines that no one in the first 500 years of the church were obliged to believe.

Reformed Protestant

This is a great quote. I am keeping this! :thumbsup:

Yes, Mary is truly ever-Virgin. However, she is not a prototype for just nuns, but for all who call her Son Lord and Savior. (Chastity is for all people, married or unmarried; celibacy refers to the unmarried state.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.