Was my Baptism Valid?

I was baptized as a Protestant. When I was baptized, the minister said “Name In the name of the Lord I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen”. What concerned me is the first part “In the name of the Lord”. Does this invalidate my baptism? Also, since the church that baptized me taught baptism was purely symbolic, and didn’t confer special graces or forgive sin, does that make my baptism invalid?

Without knowing the specific denomination its impossible for me give a definitive answer. As long as the denomination shares our basic belief in the Trinity then the addition of “the Lord” in the beginning of the formula should not be problematic since the rest of the words are indeed valid words of baptism.

Differences in the theology of baptism have not generally been considered to invalidate the sacrament. Even atheists have been considered to be able to validly baptize.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.