Was My Confession and Communion Sacrilegious?

Recently I went to confession and confessed something which in itself is sinful but I wasn't sure if I'd completely consented. While the priest was giving me advice I inadvertently said "I would never do that". As soon as the words were out of my mouth I remembered that I had done the very thing I said I would never do along time ago and proceeded to confess this as well. The sin I committed years ago was already confessed during a general confession. Is wasn't until after I left the confessional that I realized that technically I told the priest a lie.

Right after confession I attended Mass and I was in such a state of emotional turmoil I wasn't sure if I'd committed a sacrilege and whether I should receive Holy Communion. The problem was compounded by the fact that my husband was with me and he knew that I'd just gone to confession and would wonder why I hadn't received. I decided to go ahead and receive because I wasn't sure if I'd really committed a sacrilege and I remembered St. Alphonse de Liguori's advice that in such cases when we are not sure if we are guilty of mortal sin to go ahead and receive Communion.

I'm wondering now if I committed two sacrileges. I am going to confess this either way next time I go to confession.

You've got some pretty serious scrupulosity going on here, I suggest getting this under control with the help of your priests. Tell him of these tendencies of yours and he will help you learn how to form your conscience.

[quote="rowsofvoices9, post:1, topic:295608"]
Recently I went to confession and confessed something which in itself is sinful but I wasn't sure if I'd completely consented. While the priest was giving me advice I inadvertently said "I would never do that". As soon as the words were out of my mouth I remembered that I had done the very thing I said I would never do along time ago and proceeded to confess this as well. The sin I committed years ago was already confessed during a general confession. Is wasn't until after I left the confessional that I realized that technically I told the priest a lie.

Right after confession I attended Mass and I was in such a state of emotional turmoil I wasn't sure if I'd committed a sacrilege and whether I should receive Holy Communion. The problem was compounded by the fact that my husband was with me and he knew that I'd just gone to confession and would wonder why I hadn't received. I decided to go ahead and receive because I wasn't sure if I'd really committed a sacrilege and I remembered St. Alphonse de Liguori's advice that in such cases when we are not sure if we are guilty of mortal sin to go ahead and receive Communion.

I'm wondering now if I committed two sacrileges. I am going to confess this either way next time I go to confession.

[/quote]

It appears that you are suffering from scrupulosity.

I would refer you to the Cathechism of Pope Pius X found here: ewtn.com/library/catechsm/piusxcat.htm#Sacraments

The Catechism of the Council of Trent was directed to all priests. The recently released Catechism of the Catholic Church was directed to all bishops. The Catechism of Pope St. Pius X was directed to the layman. Cardinal Ratzinger, when discussing the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church said this regarding the Catechism of Pope Pius X: “The faith, as such, is always the same. Therefore, St. Pius X's catechism always retains its value… There can be persons or groups that feel more comfortable with St. Pius X's catechism."

Now, if you go to link I provided above and go to question 80 under the section on The Sacrament of Penance, you will find the following question and answer:

"Q. If a penitent is not certain of having committed a sin must he confess it?
A. If a penitent is not certain of having committed a sin*** he is not bound to confess it*; and ***if* he does confess it, he should add that he is not certain of having committed it."

The scrupulous person will never have mathematical certainty that they are in a state of grace. The only solution is to only confess MORTAL sins that you are SURE of having committed. We don't go to Confession to FEEL better. We go to Confession to confess MORTAL sins that we KNOW we have committed.

[quote="eightandsand, post:3, topic:295608"]
It appears that you are suffering from scrupulosity.

I would refer you to the Cathechism of Pope Pius X found here: ewtn.com/library/catechsm/piusxcat.htm#Sacraments

The Catechism of the Council of Trent was directed to all priests. The recently released Catechism of the Catholic Church was directed to all bishops. The Catechism of Pope St. Pius X was directed to the layman. Cardinal Ratzinger, when discussing the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church said this regarding the Catechism of Pope Pius X: “The faith, as such, is always the same. Therefore, St. Pius X's catechism always retains its value… There can be persons or groups that feel more comfortable with St. Pius X's catechism."

Now, if you go to link I provided above and go to question 80 under the section on The Sacrament of Penance, you will find the following question and answer:

"Q. If a penitent is not certain of having committed a sin must he confess it?
A. If a penitent is not certain of having committed a sin*** he is not bound to confess it*; and ***if* he does confess it, he should add that he is not certain of having committed it."

The scrupulous person will never have mathematical certainty that they are in a state of grace. The only solution is to only confess MORTAL sins that you are SURE of having committed. We don't go to Confession to FEEL better. We go to Confession to confess MORTAL sins that we KNOW we have committed.

[/quote]

Thanks for this. I do struggle terribly sometimes with scrupulosity and it can a very heavy cross to bear.

I understand that for the scrupulous people such as myself that we should without a protracted examination of conscience confess only those sins were are sure are mortal. I did discuss this with the priest when I went to confession again last Saturday and he assured me that since what I did was unintentional that I need not worry and that my sins were absolved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.