Was my Confession valid?

After confessing my sins, the priest gave me some advice for conquering the sin I struggle with the most.Then he gave me absolution. I hadn’t said the Act of Contrition and he hadn’t given me my penance.

Were my sins still forgiven?

Thanks in advance!:slight_smile:

So long as the words of absolution were said, your sins were forgiven.

Sounds to me like your sins were forgiven.

[quote="Paula4387, post:1, topic:329744"]
After confessing my sins, the priest gave me some advice for conquering the sin I struggle with the most.Then he gave me absolution. I hadn't said the Act of Contrition and he hadn't given me my penance.

Thanks in advance!:)

[/quote]

Yes. You could say the Act of Contrition afterward, and you can always ask the priest, "Any penance for me, Father?" Or, just leave and say a few Our Fathers and Hail Marys before you go.

Yes, your sins were forgiven as long as the priest absolved you.

[quote="Paula4387, post:1, topic:329744"]
After confessing my sins, the priest gave me some advice for conquering the sin I struggle with the most.Then he gave me absolution. I hadn't said the Act of Contrition and he hadn't given me my penance.

Thanks in advance!:)

[/quote]

As far as my understanding goes, penance is the sacrament for confession of sins to the priest of your parish, as long as you have received absolution.
There is actually multiple meanings of the word penance, one is the sacrament, the other is more of a repentance.

I would act on the words of the priest's advice and you can say the act of contrition afterwards if you'd like.
As far as forgiveness goes, generally:

1. confession to the priest
  2. confession to God.

you are forgiven of course:)

as far as penance goes, just act on the priests advice though you can always say a couple of Our Fathers, Hail Marys, etc. :signofcross:

There is a priest at a neighboring parish who almost never gives a penance to kids under 14. Not sure why......:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.