Was my confirmation valid?

I am a cradle Catholic, and I was confirmed through CCD in March 2006. However, I just remembered that a few days before it, we had confession, and I don’t think mine was very sincere. So since I was more than likely in a state of mortal sin, was my confirmation void?

Also, I don’t think I was very well catechized. There was still a lot about the Church that I didn’t understand when I was confirmed.

Yes, your confirmation was valid. I had the same question when I was confirmed last year, not for any practical reason, just because I’m curious, and a good priest I trust very much said that it does not affect the validity.

Hope this helps!

Not everything on the church can be discussed or covered in preparation for confirmation. If you don’t already have a copy of the Catechism you should pick one up. If you have questions feel free to ask them here on the forum. :slight_smile:

If you were not in a state of grace when you were confirmed, you did not receive the benefits of the Sacrament, although it was indeed conferred validly. Once you make (or made) a good confession and returned to the state of grace, the benefits will be (or were) given to you.

I am technically confirmed? I started going to confession this year, so I assume I’m okay?

the validity of the sacrament depends on the intent and adherence to matter and form on the part of the celebrant, not the recipient. Yes your confirmation is valid. Unless you absolutely lied or withheld sins in confession, your confession was valid and you were in the state of grace, no matter what your emotional feeling was. Even if it was not, the next time you made a good confession the graces and effects of Confirmation would be fully available to you. Your catechesis is also not an issue for the validity of the sacrament. If you feel you have more to learn, keep studying. This is something all adult Catholics should be doing throughout their lives. It is a sacrament of initiation, not a sacrament of graduation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.