Was my session with a psychic evil?

several yrs ago a friend visited me from MI and convinced me to go with her to a spiritualist. She told me that a spirit named Laura loved me very much but was sad when I hurt others’ feelings. Both of us were (are) Catholics. When I told my mother, she began to cry and told me that Laura was my real grandmother. She died in childbirth when my mother and aunt were very young. I’m interested in what happened to me but everyone i talk to tell me to stay away without any reason. Does anyone know if this is evil? I really want to find my grandmother’s burial - my mother passed on last year and always wanted to find this.

Your desire to find your grandmother’s grave is natural and understandable; however, seeking answers through a psychic is spiritually dangerous and should be avoided–no matter how tempting it may be.

The *Catholic Catechism * teaches the following:

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. …Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it.”

I recommend you speak with a priest concerning your psychic consultation. As for help in locating your grandmother’s burial place, I recommend you visit the following genealogy website: Genealogy

Further reading:

How mediums gain information

God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.