Was Only God the Father that who Spoke to Israel?

According to Christianity Israel only knows about God the Father… that was like that because only Him spoke to them? Or because Israel only sees Him?

I want to say, the Son hadn’t been generated yet, He had? If He hadn’t been generated yet, so He also spoke to Jews… is this logic? and more important…is this true?

The Son is the Word of God. The Word has always been with God from the beginning, Jesus is the Word made flesh.

God revealed Himself to Israel in His Unity. This was necessary for the people of Israel not to be confused with the plurality of false gods worshiped by the people around them. If you notice in Genesis, the Trinity is implied in the creation story. God commanded (spoke the Word) and God breathed on the waters (the Spirit).

All three persons of the Trinity appear in the OT.

The Jews simply didn’t identify them, and God never explicitly revealed it until Christ.

It isn’t that Israel only knew God the Father, its that they only knew of a single unitarian God. What we call The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit were all part of this God, undistinguished from each other.

There is only one God, who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That One God is who spoke to Israel.

Ahh… you have catched me! Unless my bad english and my also bad theologic system of think. I used to think Yahveh and God the Father were the Same… bad idea from Jehovah’s Witnesses. Thank you so much :thumbsup:

The Catholic faith believes and teaches (though many Catholics have never considered it) that the Jehovah of the Old Testament was the pre-mortal Jesus:

These words [of the Prophets], then, have become the proof that Jesus Christ is the Son and Apostle of God, being of old the Word, appearing at one time in the guise of fire, and at another time as an incorporeal image. And now, by the will of God and for the sake of the human race, He has become man… Although the Jews were always of the opinion that it was the Father of all who had spoken to Moses, it was in fact the Son of God, who is called both Angel and Apostle, who spoke to him… Formerly He appeared to Moses and to the other prophets in the form of fire and as an incorporeal image; now, in the times of your reign, having become man, as we said, by a Virgin and by the will of the Father, for the sake of those who believe in Him, He allowed Himself to be treated with contempt and to suffer so that by death and resurrection He might conquer death.

• St. Justin Martyr, First Apology, A.D. 148-155

Paul (formerly LDS, now happily Catholic)

Note that Jesus says that “Before Abraham was, I am.” The Son existed from all time. It was only His human incarnation that took place in time.

The Creed says that it was the Holy Spirit Who spoke through the OT prophets. Since the Son is the Word, it seems reasonable to believe that it was He that spoke when God spoke directly. However, that is just speculation; I don’t think that there is any specific teaching on that.

Gen1:27 – “And the Memra of the Lord created the man in his own likeness; in a likeness from before the Lord he created him; male and his partner he created them.”

Gen3:8 – “And they heard the sound of the Memra of the Lord God walking within the garden in the breeze of the day…”Gen12:7 – “And the Memra of the Lord was revealed to Abram and said to him: ‘To your sons I will give this land.’ …”
Gen15:6 – “And Abram believed in the name of the Memra of the Lord and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.”

Genesis 28:20-21 “If the Word of the Lord will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I will return safely to my father’s house, then the Word of the LORD will be my God.”

This is from Targum Onkelos( jewish book )

memra means = Word in Aramaic

Michael Brown (Messianic Scholar) writes this on the last verse :-

“The Word of the Lord will be Jacob’s God! And this was read in the synagogues for decades, if not centures. Week in and week out, the people heart about this walking, talking, creativg, saving, delivering Word, this Word who was Jacob’s God.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.