Was Paul supposed to be the head of the apostles?

We have a radio show called “Ask the Pastor”. It’s on Wednesday nights at 10:00pm. He is a Pentacostal minister. He claims that Paul and not Peter was to be the head of the apostles. Is he right?

This would have been news to Paul - he considered himself to be the least of the apostles: “Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God” (1 Cor 15:8). We also know that Paul recognized the authority of Peter and the other apostles when the Council of Jerusalem was called: “Paul and Barnabas and some of the others were appointed to go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and the elders about this question” (Acts 15:2).

Scripture clearly establishes Peter’s primacy and the writings of the Early Church Fathers concur. For more details see the Church & Papacy section of our online library.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.