Was Peter in Rome?

Critcics of the Catholic Church claim that Peter was never in Rome. Is this true?

A fascinating book by John Evangelist Walsh documents the archeological search that led to the discovery of the tomb and bones of Peter buried under the high altar of St. Peter Basilica in Rome.

You can read this book for free online and in full. Check out:

The Bones of St. Peter
The First Full Account of the Search for the Apostle’s Body
by John Evangelist Walsh

saintpetersbasilica.org/Necropolis/JW/TheBonesofStPeter-1.htm

I found the book to be very convincing, and I am interested in any discussion from those who doubt or deny that Peter was ever in the Eternal City.

Was Peter in Rome? Yes

Yes. He was Bishop of Rome and Pope of The Church when matyred there.

:cool:

“I do not, as Peter and Paul, issue commandments unto you.” Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Romans, 4 (c. A.D. 110).

‘You have thus by such an admonition bound together the plantings of Peter and Paul at Rome and Corinth." Dionysius of Corinth, Epistle to Pope Soter, fragment in Eusebius’ Church History, II:25 (c. A.D. 178).

“Matthew also issued a written Gospel among the Hebrews in their own dialect, while Peter and Paul were preaching at Rome, and laying the foundations of the Church.” Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 3:1:1 (c. A.D. 180).

“As Peter had preached the Word publicly at Rome, and declared the Gospel by the Spirit, many who were present requested that Mark, who had followed him for a long time and remembered his sayings, should write them out.” Clement of Alexandria, fragment in Eusebius Church History, VI:14,6 (A.D. 190)

There are many more quotes from ECF’s at this website scripturecatholic.com/primacy_of_peter.html#tradition_I click on Peter built the Church in Rome

Lets assume Peter was not in Rome. Jesus still gave him a unique authority over the other eleven. Peter was not incharge because he was in Rome. Peter was incharge regardless where he was.

This could be very useful, thanks for posting.

Another source to check out is the Catholic encyclopedia.

It goes into much more detail, but in summary:

It is an indisputably established historical fact that St. Peter laboured in Rome during the last portion of his life, and there ended his earthly course by martyrdom. As to the duration of his Apostolic activity in the Roman capital, the continuity or otherwise of his residence there, the details and success of his labours, and the chronology of his arrival and death, all these questions are uncertain, and can be solved only on hypotheses more or less well-founded. The essential fact is that Peter died at Rome: this constitutes the historical foundation of the claim of the Bishops of Rome to the Apostolic Primacy of Peter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.