Was Peter married?

Was St. Peter, the first Pope, married? If so (or not) any details appreciated.
Thank you.

The Bible has a story that mentions his mother-in-law so I guess the answer is yes.

St. Peter was married as were quite a few of the apostles and a whole lot of priests and bishops in the early church. Celibacy is a discipline which did not come into complete fruition until sometime in the 11th century. There is nothing mystical about celibacy. It is simply a discipline which the Church has imposed upon herself (and for valid historical reasons - e.g. priests who were more concerned about their family than their flock).

I could be wrong but did not archiologists find two sets of bones under St. Peter’s Bacilica. One male and one female. The thought was that they were the bones of St. Peter and his wife. This is something I vagly remember. Possibly someone else knows more.

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

[quote=Steven Merten]I could be wrong but did not archiologists find two sets of bones under St. Peter’s Bacilica. One male and one female. The thought was that they were the bones of St. Peter and his wife. This is something I vagly remember. Possibly someone else knows more.

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com
[/quote]

peter’s mother in law is only mentioned in the scriptures, she may have died.

[quote=brotherhrolf]St. Peter was married as were quite a few of the apostles and a whole lot of priests and bishops in the early church. Celibacy is a discipline which did not come into complete fruition until sometime in the 11th century. There is nothing mystical about celibacy. It is simply a discipline which the Church has imposed upon herself (and for valid historical reasons - e.g. priests who were more concerned about their family than their flock).
[/quote]

I think Celibacy is way more spiritual than just a dicipline. Jesus praised those who would give up sex for the sake of the kingdom. Since the scriptures only mention Peter’s mother-in law and not his wife, it is very possible that Peter gave up everything (including his family) to follow Jesus and ultimately, be the first Pope of the Church. In today’s society, leaving your family seems like a very terrible thing to do (I suppose it was back then as well.)!!! But when God calls, you drop everything and do as he says (we are called to love God above everything)!!!

The fact that a priest can give up a spouse and children is a gift from God as well as a gift to God. God gives priests the grace to accept their cellibate vocation, and the priest therefore makes a great sacrifice out of love for Our Heavenly Father. It is a great gift and much more than just a dicipline!!!

Just another viewpoint!!!

God Bless

[quote=mrsjackson]Was St. Peter, the first Pope, married? If so (or not) any details appreciated.
[/quote]

Since Holy Writ mentions his mother-in-law, he must have been.

[quote=Rm Catholic]I think Celibacy is way more spiritual than just a dicipline.
[/quote]

By discipline, brotherhrolf meant that it is a discipline, not a doctrine that Latin Rite Catholic priests remain celebate. He was not indicating its level of spirituality.

God Bless.

[quote=Ignatius]Since Holy Writ mentions his mother-in-law, he must have been.
[/quote]

Understood…but I still think that many people put too much emphasis on Celibacy being a dicipline, which therefore makes it easier/possible to change. Not accusing anyone here, but many people overlook the importance of Celibacy just to agrue that it is a “right”!!! Thats all I meant. Thanks for the input!!!

God Bless

[quote=Ignatius]By discipline, brotherhrolf meant that it is a discipline, not a doctrine that Latin Rite Catholic priests remain celebate. He was not indicating its level of spirituality.

God Bless.
[/quote]

I also agree with the statement that it is not Doctrine that priests can’t marry. Having said that…it is also not Doctrine that says priests can marry. Because it is not divinely revealed truth and protected by the Holy Spirit with regards to it being taught correctly, it is possible that the Church allowing priests to marry may not have been the best idea. (Don’t take this the wrong way…I’m sure there are plenty of great married priests out there. It just may not have been what Jesus, and St. Paul particularly, had in mind)!!!

God Bless

[quote=Rm Catholic]I also agree with the statement that it is not Doctrine that priests can’t marry. Having said that…it is also not Doctrine that says priests can marry. Because it is not divinely revealed truth and protected by the Holy Spirit with regards to it being taught correctly, it is possible that the Church allowing priests to marry may not have been the best idea.
[/quote]

Just to clarify: it has never been the discipline of the Church, East or West, Catholic or Orthodox, that priests can marry. What has been permitted in the Church of the East (and with some dispensations in the Western Church) and within the Orthodox Church that men who are already married may be ordained. (Just as St. Peter was ordained after already being married.)

In Christ,
Frances

Another point that people sometimes don’t think of but that i learned in my history classes… was that celibacy was also pushed to stop churches property and spirtuality to be controlled by generations of families. They didn’t want the church land and the spiritual thoughts to be controlled by a priest passing his church on to his sons. They wanted it to be the churches property and the churches thoughts not that of someone else. It makes since to me because this is a problem with todays “if i can’t find a church that believes what i believe then lets make up a new one” and “my father was a pastor so i became one”. It makes it seem like someone went into it because it’s a family “business” instead of a vocation.

GOD BELSS
beckers

[quote=FCEGM]Just to clarify: it has never been the discipline of the Church, East or West, Catholic or Orthodox, that priests can marry. What has been permitted in the Church of the East (and with some dispensations in the Western Church) and within the Orthodox Church that men who are already married may be ordained. (Just as St. Peter was ordained after already being married.)

In Christ,
Frances
[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion. I am aware that no priest (after ordination) can be married.

What I meant was whether or not married men should become priests!!!

I recall reading somewhere that Peter’s wife was martyred (sp). I don’t remember where this was exactly, but i do remember that it was a reliable source. It was obviously not the Bible, since it only mention’s Peter’s MIL, as has been stated.

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.