Was Peter the rock in Matthew 16?

You have made the claim that Peter is a small movable stone.

Matthew 16:18 says “You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld will not prevail against it.”

I assume your argument stems from the Greek form of Peter…petros?
First, I would like to point out that petros does mean in Attic Greek(faded out of use around 300 before Christ) “small movable rock” or “pebble.” In Koine Greek(the Greek into which Matthew was either translated or transcripted- we don’t know) the use of petros as pebble was very litte, if any.

Second, Jesus renamed Peter in Aramaic(John 1:42), as is seen through the many references to Peter as Cephas in the NT(1 Corinthians 1:12, 3:22, 9:5, 15:5, Galatians 1:18, 2:9, 2:11, 2:14)

John 1:42 says that “Jesus looked at him, and said, ‘So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas’ (which means Peter).”

Cephas is a transliteration of the word Kepha from Aramaic. Kepha means large movable rock. Peter was obviously, at least, a large movable rock.

BUMP!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.