Was telling my father to "be quiet" a sin (in this case)?

Hi!
This morning, there was lots of traffic on the road. As my father (who is not a practising Catholic) was driving, he blasphemed the Blessed Virgin Mary in anger over the traffic. By blasphemy, I mean the Italian “custom” whereby a certain verb is placed in front of the name of GOD, Our Lord, Our Lady or a saint and treated in the most outrageous way possible (this is not so common in English-speaking countries). He did not stop there, but proceeded to label the Blessed Virgin Mary with an unbearable insult which I am sure would draw lots of anger from any faithful Catholic (although, I’m sure they would have reacted differently and more appropriately than I did!).
I didn’t even think about what I was saying, since I was too focussed on what he had said, so some impulse rose within me, and I told him to “shut up”, followed by a more calmer “stop blaspheming!”.
I’m no sure whether I commited a sin in this, since the reaction rose quickly and impulsively (I guess it also must have risen quickly when my dad said what he said, although I would think that someone would have to think well if he was going to say something so explicitly gross about Our Lady).
Thank-you.

Defending Our Lady by telling anyone, even your father, to respect your beliefs and not to swear cannot be sinning in my opinion. Respect, even for a father, has to be earned and needs to be reciprocal. I applaud you for your loss of control at any attack on Our Lady, even verbally and possibly without thought. Your father should stop his road rage in case it gets him into trouble.

Sin yes… Mortal… most likely not; however, this is IMHO a ten commandment issue.
What you did you did in anger - no good ever comes from anger, ever.
-please forgive me the next as I mean no disrespect >
If your Father had been doing the same thing with your mother’s name, with her standing right there (ok, in the car with you) and you did the exact same thing, what would her reaction have been? My mom would have understood where my heart was at and I would still have been scolded for talking to my Father in a disrespectful manner – might have gotten back of my head whacked and told to apologize!
If your earthly mother would not have approved, even knowing your heart and loving you as only a mother can… how do you think the Blessed Mother would feel? IMHO, She still loves you too and understands your heart, yet no good comes from an evil act, no matter how small.

So… go talk with papa, let him know that you love and respect him, but that you find the cursing to be hard on the ears. Stop by the confessional before you go to Mass and tell Fr. about the entire thing and most of all, forgive yourself too.

Peace be With You

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.