Was the blessing valid?

A few days ago I got a medal of St. Benedict as a gift and until today I was able to get it blessed. I researched the proper way to bless it and got the prayer so the father could bless it properly. However, when I gave him the medal, he ignored the prayer sheet and just said a general blessing for the medal before I could correct him. I was in a hurry to tell him so I had to leave without the proper blessing.

Is the blessing for my medal still valid even though it wasn’t blessed the way it was supposed to?

Yes it is a blessed medal.

One could though I believe approach another priest with the rite of blessing osb.org/gen/medal.html and ask him to use it for the medal. For there is much intended in the blessing there.

[quote="GuaCatholico, post:1, topic:317622"]
A few days ago I got a medal of St. Benedict as a gift and until today I was able to get it blessed. I researched the proper way to bless it and got the prayer so the father could bless it properly. However, when I gave him the medal, he ignored the prayer sheet and just said a general blessing for the medal before I could correct him. I was in a hurry to tell him so I had to leave without the proper blessing.

Is the blessing for my medal still valid even though it wasn't blessed the way it was supposed to?

[/quote]

The medal is blessed but probably not exorcized. If you have an FSSP priest nearby bring it to him. He will likely use the Roman Ritual in force in 1962, which has a complete and powerful formula of exorcism for this medal. You want this exorcism.

[quote="porthos11, post:3, topic:317622"]
The medal is blessed but probably not exorcized. If you have an FSSP priest nearby bring it to him. He will likely use the Roman Ritual in force in 1962, which has a complete and powerful formula of exorcism for this medal. You want this exorcism.

[/quote]

The above page has the short form of the blessing-exorcism for the medal.

[quote="GuaCatholico, post:1, topic:317622"]

Is the blessing for my medal still valid even though it wasn't blessed the way it was supposed to?

[/quote]

The rite of blessing of this type of medal also includes an exorcism and at one time was only authorized to be used by a Benedictine Priests. However, now it can be used to bless the items by any priest or deacon. I carry a copy of this Blessing in my bag with me so when someone asks me to bless an item and it happens to be Benedictine, I am prepared.

It is aggravating that some clergy members will not use the prescribed blessings. This happened once to me; I had a parishioner ask me to bless a brown scapular and help her consecrated to the scapular. Well, not knowing much about this at all, I deferred to the priest who was in the next room thinking "he would know how to handle this..." Little did I know that he would just simply wave his hand and say the sign of the cross and that was it. The lady looked at me like I was nuts.

Not sure who is authorized to handle the brown scapular issues.

PS. I always will differ to the priest if one is present with me, out of respect for the higher level of the hierarchy.

I think that one is reserved to priests, isn’t it?

Of course it is. This is prayer, not witchcraft. Don't worry about specific incantations.

[quote="porthos11, post:3, topic:317622"]

[/quote]

Oh come on. This is PRAYER no JuJu. Superstition and over-reliance on forms of incantation are spiritual dangers.

[quote="Gorgias, post:6, topic:317622"]
I think that one is reserved to priests, isn't it?

[/quote]

I think it is. Not sure if they must be religous of that order, isn't that a carmelite devotion?

[quote="Boy_Wonder, post:8, topic:317622"]
Oh come on. This is PRAYER no JuJu. Superstition and over-reliance on forms of incantation are spiritual dangers.

[/quote]

No superstitian nor are these rituals "incantations". The Benedictine medal has a certain blessing which should be used, simple as that. Is this medal blessed? Absolutly, was it blessed in the proper form, no. Quite simple.

Boy Wonder, God conditions some of his graces on our asking for them. This is not superstition but humility.

[quote="Gorgias, post:6, topic:317622"]
I think that one is reserved to priests, isn't it?

[/quote]

freebrownscapular.com/brown_scapular_faqs.html

I found this and it appears this is reserved to Carmelite priests, and "duly authorized" priests. Not sure if that means all priests or if there is a special commission from the order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

[quote="Lapey, post:12, topic:317622"]
freebrownscapular.com/brown_scapular_faqs.html

I found this and it appears this is reserved to Carmelite priests, and "duly authorized" priests. Not sure if that means all priests or if there is a special commission from the order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

[/quote]

Such would be incorrect

[quote="Boy_Wonder, post:8, topic:317622"]

[/quote]

The exorcism for th St. Benedict medal is approved by the Church, and for a certain purpose. The Church does not approve juju, so it must follow that the St Benedict exorcism and blessing are spiritually beneficial, not dangerous.

Any Priest or Deacon may bless the Scapular.

If one wishes to be received into the Confraternity --the person who does so must have the authorization of the Order as I understand it.

[quote="porthos11, post:14, topic:317622"]
The exorcism for th St. Benedict medal is approved by the Church, and for a certain purpose. The Church does not approve juju, so it must follow that the St Benedict exorcism and blessing are spiritually beneficial, not dangerous.

[/quote]

I don't think he is disputing the exorcism, but rather the concept that if you don't use the exact formula, the blessing is invalid. Since it is a sacramental and not a Sacrament, I don't think a regular short or generic blessing would be even illicit, let alone invalid.

[quote="Scottgun, post:16, topic:317622"]
I don't think he is disputing the exorcism, but rather the concept that if you don't use the exact formula, the blessing is invalid. Since it is a sacramental and not a Sacrament, I don't think a regular short or generic blessing would be even illicit, let alone invalid.

[/quote]

He quoted my post on the missing exorcism. I did not deny the blessing's validity, only that it was not exorcized. So I think he is actually disputing the exorcism and equating it with juju. Which I think is highly imprudent because the St. Benedict exorcism is extraordinarily powerful.

I print out the blessing and exorcism for the priest. The OF priests bless it properly when I supply a page with the prayer and the holy water. You might try that. :)

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.