Was the church corrupt?

In the time of martin luther,was the church corupt?..the priests being hipacritical?

I heard that the papacy was also corupt…is this true?

[quote=godsent]In the time of martin luther,was the church corupt?..the priests being hipacritical?

I heard that the papacy was also corupt…is this true?
[/quote]

Yes…Yes.

Yes.

When Christ established the Church, He did not establish Heaven-on-Earth.

The various negative stories in the gospels about Peter are probably there to foreshadow the Church’s scandals. Ironically, the scandals, including the Church’s corruption in the Middle Ages – actually help to verify that our Church is the foreshadowed Church, the corrupt Church, but the true Church.

We Catholics believe human nature is itself corrupted by original sin. In that sense, everyone is corrupt.

If you mean did she have faults and excesses in the late Middle Ages? Yes, she did. And she was well on the way to reforming herself at the time.

Surely you’re not suggesting Luther and his followers were entitled to pillage, loot and rape the Church and the monestaries, desecrate and steal her property, and murder thousands in the process? Or take her offertory wine into the streets like savages and get drunk, performing mock celebrations of the Holy Eucharist. Please tell me that’s not what you’re getting at.

Hi Godsent,

You will find a masterful treatment of the question at the article Reformation of the online Catholic Encyclopedia* which you can find at newadvent.org/cathen/12700b.htm

Verbum

• This is the 1912 edition.

adnauseum - this is a bit off topic, but your signature intrigues me. Can you translate it for me?

[quote=adnauseum]Surely you’re not suggesting Luther and his followers were entitled to pillage, loot and rape the Church and the monestaries, desecrate and steal her property, and murder thousands in the process? Or take her offertory wine into the streets like savages and get drunk, performing mock celebrations of the Holy Eucharist. Please tell me that’s not what you’re getting at.
[/quote]

Wow. You picked all that up from two simple questions. You’re good.

[quote=mhansen]Wow. You picked all that up from two simple questions. You’re good.
[/quote]

No, I smell where the conversation is going, and I cut to the chase without the niceties. It saves time and bandwidth.

Maybe there is a perfectly charitable reason for asking such a hostile question about the Church on what is after all a Catholic web site, but I can’t think of one.

[quote=cardenio]adnauseum - this is a bit off topic, but your signature intrigues me. Can you translate it for me?
[/quote]

The signature is probably gramatically clumsy, but it uses one of my favorite Latin constructions, the future passive participle, which has the force of an imperative. Saying delenda est means “it must be destroyed” - or more gently - erased.

It means: the heresy of sola scriptura must be erased.

Our Holy Father Benedict XVI told Raymond Aroyo not long ago .When he was still a Cardinal that anything run by men is subject to Coruption. The scandal is a blatent example of that .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.